multiple problems need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
multiple problems need help

Sorry I put this in the wrong forum @ first.

'02 f350 srw

couple of problems here

I have changed the Fuel filter,the air filter and ran some injector cleaner through the fuel system ( Diesel 911 ) engine still does not seem to be running as smooth as it was 2 months ago.

Any ideas?

There is a small oil leak comming from the top of the motor. I have read about the o rings needing to be replaced. The dealer said it could be the pedestal and I should replace the turbo and the pedastal. ($2500 plus) I don't see any reason to replace the turbo since it still boost ok and it whistles fine. I have been told that I would know if the turbo was not working.Is this true?

How do I know if it is comming from the trurbo and not something else?

Last week I washed my truck. Every since then my turn signals have not worked. I have checked the fuses but none look blown. I have alson noticed the my brake light won't come on when I engage the emegency brake.

Anyone ever had this problem? How do I fix it?

I have recently put front rotors on the truck ( about 10,000 miles ago and now the brakes are pulsing when I brake.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

I am pretty mechanically inclined so I feel like I could save myself some $$$ buy fixing these problems myself..

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Don't replace the turbo and definitely not for 2500 bucks. You could buy a nice Garrett or Turbonetics for way less. The o-rings are a possibility and I am getting to replace mine with my new Turbonetics turbo. It sounds like a 3 hour job and from first glance, doesn't look like to difficult of a job, if you want to do the work yourself. the o-rings from the dealer are about 40 bucks to replace the upper and lower pedestal.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

first of all the new rotors you put on the truck are probable warped. I would take them back and get a new set. Second the brake light won't come on with the emergency brake. You probable either shorted out your bulbs from the moisture or have a short somewhere in the circuit. Hope this helps!!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:01 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

turbo is not your problem ,make sure oil is in god shape and get your oil leak fixed ,run codes on it to see if any show up for your rough running concern , and as far as your electrical problem ,almost impossible to diag without looking at it
Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

oh yeah , i agree with dieselbop, rotor were probably warped out te box seen that before ,have had to machine new rotors out of the box
Old 02-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to Powerstroke.org, glad your with us, and looks like you have some good help here soooo, I'm sitting back.

Gord.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Oh, by the way, if you have a trailer hitch connection, you might want to check to see if it's got water in it, might have shorted out the lights.

Gord.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose69 View Post
Sorry I put this in the wrong forum @ first.

'02 f350 srw

couple of problems here

I have changed the Fuel filter,the air filter and ran some injector cleaner through the fuel system ( Diesel 911 ) engine still does not seem to be running as smooth as it was 2 months ago.

Any ideas?

There is a small oil leak comming from the top of the motor. I have read about the o rings needing to be replaced. The dealer said it could be the pedestal and I should replace the turbo and the pedastal. ($2500 plus) I don't see any reason to replace the turbo since it still boost ok and it whistles fine. I have been told that I would know if the turbo was not working.Is this true?

How do I know if it is comming from the trurbo and not something else?

Last week I washed my truck. Every since then my turn signals have not worked. I have checked the fuses but none look blown. I have alson noticed the my brake light won't come on when I engage the emegency brake.

Anyone ever had this problem? How do I fix it?

I have recently put front rotors on the truck ( about 10,000 miles ago and now the brakes are pulsing when I brake.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

I am pretty mechanically inclined so I feel like I could save myself some $$$ buy fixing these problems myself..

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP.

Ok your oil leak is most likely not your turbo. On a 7.3L there is a brass plug on the passenger side valve cover by the firewall. It has a rubber o-ring that seals it. The plug is a 5/8 wrench to remove it, inspect the o-ring. O-ring from dealer is gonna cost you around 14 bucks but you get like 6 O-rings for this price. I chased an oil leak for 4 months before I found this brass plug. Pretty easy fix.

Turn signal problem is hard to trouble shoot with out being there. But I would check all the wiring and wiring connectors under the truck. Check the trailer light connector, check the lightbulbs and their plugs, Check the multifunction switch. If it is the switch let me know I have a brand new one in the box I will sell you cheaper then the dealer. I bought it at the dealer thinking mine was bad. I ended up with a cut in the wiring going to the back of the truck. So now I have a brand new multifunction switch sitting at my house. You can not return electrical parts to the dealer.

Brakes, did you clean the rotors before installing them. There is a protective grease to prevent rusting while the rotors sit on the shelf at the parts store. I suggest taking them off cleaning them. Maybe go to a parts store that turns the rotors and see if they are warped. If they are not warped after cleaning them with brake cleaner reinstall and see if that fixed the problem. Also check the calipers, and brake pads.

Engine running rough, could be a number of things. I suggest change the fuel filter again, fill up with new fuel do not add anything to the fuel and drive it see how it runs when you have nothing added to the fuel. Also is the check engine light on. Does it run rough only at start up or all the time. Have you ever replaced the CPS (Cam Positioning Sensor). Is your check engine light on. Need more info.

I hope I have been some assistance to you if not add more info to your problems and lets see if we can't help you out.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help with the oil problem.
I will have to look at this on the weekend.

I looked at the trailor light plugs and the did not seem to be any water in the plugs.

I stopped buy the local Advanced Auto to look at some code readers and they had one I could use. I plugged the reader up to the truck and nothing. The reader didn't even come on. I had the key turned to the on position like the guy said but nothing. He took the same readr to his truck and it worked. I wonder if this has to do with the turnsignals not working as well.

I looked under the hood to see if the was a breaker box or something and I noticed there were two black boxes right on the driverside fender under the master cylinder.. one of the caps on one of the boxes was loose.

What are these for and could water have gotten in there and shorted something out. Do they have anything to do with the turn signals?

Thanks for taking the time to give a guy a hand
Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The engine light is not on and the truck runs fine, just a little rough . Could it be from the cold?

Is the multifuntion switch the actual turn signal switch w/ the wiper controls on it?How do I check it?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to be thorough.

I did not put the rotors on myself I had the guy that works on my wifes car do it. I am sure he cleaned the rotors he is pretty good with cars just not so good W/ PSD.

I will get the rotors turned this weekend and report back to ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.