00 Smoke Questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
00 Smoke Questions.

Ok I know alittle about diesel's but lets see what u guys think. Here are my mods and questions. 1. Stock truck with 113000 smokes ok 2. Installed t.s 6pos switch. Great power and alittle more smoke. 3. Diy intake. Less smoke.
4. Installed SouthBend Clutch and Replaced exhaust with 5"Mbrp no smoke
5. So here are my questions, In the mornings white smokes for about 1 min.
Temp was about 20, Went down the Interstate, truck was at operating temp. Flipped the chip to 100hp and I seen white smoke coming from exhaust. Also I have extreme turbo surge. Could this be the cause?? I know it will white smoke in the cold temps but I wasnt sure about the 70mph white smoke= Can anyone chime in??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 08:15 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCOTT3518 View Post
Ok I know alittle about diesel's but lets see what u guys think. Here are my mods and questions. 1. Stock truck with 113000 smokes ok 2. Installed t.s 6pos switch. Great power and alittle more smoke. 3. Diy intake. Less smoke.
Temp was about 20, Went down the Interstate, truck was at operating temp. Flipped the chip to 100hp and I seen white smoke coming from exhaust. Also I have extreme turbo surge. Could this be the cause?? I know it will white smoke in the cold temps but I wasnt sure about the 70mph white smoke= Can anyone chime in??
Something ain't right my friend. White smoke at 70mph, you got something wrong I don't know exactly what so I will let some one else take a hit at this.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCOTT3518 View Post
Ok I know alittle about diesel's but lets see what u guys think. Here are my mods and questions. 1. Stock truck with 113000 smokes ok 2. Installed t.s 6pos switch. Great power and alittle more smoke. TS should smoke like a train in the higher settings with a stock turbo. 3. Diy intake. Less smoke.
Do you get a service engine soon lamp? Smokes ok? One lane of traffic or three?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:29 AM

No CEL and its just alittle smoke. Also I noticed this morning my turbo will shutter if I'm about half throttle and about 1500 rpm. I'll take some pics of the DIY intake and other mods. Otherwise the truck runs great. It doesn't burn oil and the coolant level never changes. I work as a techican at LandRover Nashville but I work an gas burners all day. This one had me stumped
Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 AM

I'll go out on a limb here and say I think it's going to be a map sensor?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

once good and hot does engine quit smoking white smoke ,several things can cause concern , injector o-rings , low fuel pressure will cause smoke and surge , just something to think about
Old 01-31-2007, 02:40 PM

I talked to a ford tech today and he said that with the chip on 100hp, it was probably overheating the turbo. It only smoke for just a second and I was full throttle, engine was warm.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:54 AM

A map sensor may not set a code. Have them read live data, check it at idle and road test at wot.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
I don't know about overheating the turbo if you're just cruising around with a little lead foot syndrome. White smoke in real cold weather on a cold motor would be because combustion temps aren't up yet, it'll stop after a minute or two.

I was also told that white smoke can be injector issues. The default to white smoke always seems to be coolant entering the combustion process.

Put it on stock and do whatever you were doing to get the white smoke and see what happens?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Premium Member

The surge you experienced, was it amplified in the higher horsepower settings? If so I had the same problem with my truck, it ended up being a bad injector. After replacing the injector the surge went away, and so did the white smoke. But at lower speeds at any horse setting it ran like a charm, and above about 65-70mph it ran fine as well. hope you get something from that.

Gord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.