Small problem, Speedo quits working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Small problem, Speedo quits working

I am new to this forum as well as being new to the Blue oval group. I have to get one thing of my chest first I was a tried and true Chevy lover, Twenty years of nothing but G.M. I race on the weekends and have a high cube van with a big block Chevy BUILT to the Hilt for towing. I tow a very heavy 38’ enclosed trailer, the problem with this setup is that by the time I towed to the track I was flat a$$ wore out from the trip, problems noted: top speed was only 60 MPH you could go faster but the engine was turning so hard you may end up with rods in your lap. Ever time a semi past you he would first push you to the right then once he got to certain point on the van he would start to suck you towards him. I had all kinds of stabilizers, sway controls and load levers on this nightmare. (It was unsafe). Fuel economy was about 5- 6 MPG. I wanted a newer (used) vehicle and started talking with some diesel guys and they talked me into looking at that venue. My brother bought a new Duramax and let me use it too pull to a race; “I loved it”. So I started looking for a used Duramax because the racing fund eats up so much money that I could not afford new. I ran into two huge problems looking for a G.M. 1. The Chevrolets are selling for about $5,000 more than a Ford or Dodge. 2. The Fords look so much nicer than the G.M’s I started looking at the Fords. I like the Cummings but hate the rust problems the Dodge has so that was out. Now to the good part I final settled on a 1999 F350 4 door dually with automatic and 4.10 gears because it was in excellent shape and was in my price range. I installed the edge with juice to help mileage and the best MPG to date is 20.5 (not pulling a trailer of course). This truck drives like it is brand new will yank the trailer down the road like nothing is behind it, will go 70 Mph on the interstate with one hand on the wheel. I will definitely look at Ford again when I update. I know I will have problems with the truck because of the age but I can have a few problems for what I paid for this truck and still come out way ahead. I keep a spare CPS in the glove box for the dreaded 10-minute pit stop. My father in-law has a new Duramax that was in the shop for injector issues and need to borrow the Ford to move his 44’ Montana trailer. He was very impressed with the power moreover the handling, it didn’t move the F350 around like it did his Chevy, to be fair his Duramax is complete stock and not chipped like mine.
Now to the problem: Once every month or so the speedometer will drop out and the O/D light will flash. The last time it did this I drove an extra 10 miles to see if the speedometer would start working again it did not until I stopped the truck on a side road shut it off and let it set for 1 minute key off and restarted it. This fixed the problem, why did I have to shut off the truck to get this to work again. If it was the sender in the rear differential wouldn’t it start to work again after getting the correct impulse signal from the sensor? Thanks for the help, and before I get hate mail from the other two makes, I do like things about each brand. Can I place my order for a Cummings engine with a Ford body and rear differential and Allison transmission?

LLB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

D4me, when you trade up to a 05-07 with the 5 speed auto you will forget about the Allison transmission.
Welcome to the org. Hope you come back often.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org

I can't help you with your tech problem.. but you should get some very good help soon.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:25 PM
im fat and ugly

glad to hear we converted another

to the gang
Old 01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thumbs up D4me

I bought a 99 f-350 DRW this past summer and really like it. My speedometer quit and the od light flashed like yours. I posted Marc and he steered me to replace the speed sensor in the rear diff. That cured all my problems and things have been fine since. Like your trailer I have a bumper hitch travel trailer and the trucks just don't move them !!!!!!! Gives you a good feeling running at 70 on a windy day. Hope this helps.
99 Red Stroker
PS Welcome to the site and good luck with your truck.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Guys!!! I will give the Speed sensor a shot. I am thinking about software for my laptop that can read OBD2 so I can diagnose these types of problems in the future, I am starting a new thread for this. Sorry about the long winded question but I haven’t been this excited about a vehicle since I bought my last muscle car (1970 Buick GSX with a 455 stage 1) I wish I still had that I could trade it even up for a new power stroke with coin left over.
Thanks, Logan
Old 01-31-2007, 01:09 PM

I've had this problem twice before. Both times after I had the dealer recalibrate the speedo for 35" tires. After replacing the rear wheel speed sensors twice I had them recalibrate to stock tires. Then I bought the 37's and went to a speedo shop to recalibrate the speedo and haven't had any similar problems. Short story is speed sensors are bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.