Changing IPR. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Question Changing IPR.

How do you change the IPR. Is it pretty simple? Will an IPR off a '97 work in my 2000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 05:16 PM
PMR = JUNK

Common, this is an easy answer for someone.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
you changing the whole thing or just putting new o-rings on it?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 up should work on your truck. 94-95 are slightly different but I think they might work, but never tried. This link should give you all the info. Where it says to make a special tool, you don't really need to unless you are bored. I was able to put the socket on a breaker bar, and it fit all the way in, some people said you can't get the breaker bar all the way on so it may depend on what socket you have. Mine was from Sears, a Crapsman. To drain the HPOP i bought a cheapo siphon from Harbor Freight and put a catch bottle on the ground and ran the hose down the engine compartment. I still lost some oil in the valley, but I put a bunch of paper towels in and I was fine.

New Page 0
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
Jake if your any good you can change it in 5 minutes. I think its a 1 1/4 socket. just take the first bolt off, and then take off the wires, then put the big socket it on.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
PMR = JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorking View Post
you changing the whole thing or just putting new o-rings on it?
I think i might have a problem with mine, so i wanna test it with a known good one out of Tylers truck, his is a '97, thats why i asked specifically that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCowboy View Post
96 up should work on your truck. 94-95 are slightly different but I think they might work, but never tried. This link should give you all the info. Where it says to make a special tool, you don't really need to unless you are bored. I was able to put the socket on a breaker bar, and it fit all the way in, some people said you can't get the breaker bar all the way on so it may depend on what socket you have. Mine was from Sears, a Crapsman. To drain the HPOP i bought a cheapo siphon from Harbor Freight and put a catch bottle on the ground and ran the hose down the engine compartment. I still lost some oil in the valley, but I put a bunch of paper towels in and I was fine.

New Page 0
Thanks, ill check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
Jake if your any good you can change it in 5 minutes. I think its a 1 1/4 socket. just take the first bolt off, and then take off the wires, then put the big socket it on.
Alrighty, thanks.

Kinda feel like a for this but does anyone got any pics of it on the truck? Trust me, im not a mechanical retard, ive done some major repairs before, just wanna make sure cause i'll be doin this 4 hours from home and i don't wanna F anything up.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM

No pictures but you can't miss it. To the drivers side of the fuel bowl it is really the only thing down there with a plug going to it. The plug for your fuel heater, and ICP sensor branch off of the same harness as the IPR so if you follow those wires it can help you find it. Not much to screw up. A little tin nut to take off first, then slide the spacer and the solenoid off, then you can get to the big nut to get the whole thing off. It's tight and not much room to swing the breaker bar, so just make sure it is all the way on so you don't strip it. Other than that, no little pieces to lose or anything.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Oh the plug going into the solenoid has one of those little rubber gasket dealies to seal it up, I lost that in the valley and had to dig through all the sludge to get it and then had to clean it off good, so just watch for that.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 PM
PMR = JUNK

Are there any O rings or anything that i need to replace when i switch them?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 PM

The only o-rings are on the IPR itself, so as long as you are taking his off his truck and it wasn't leaking you should be fine. If it is one he just has laying around, double check it to make sure they are on it, it should match up with yours, but there is one at the end of the threaded part to seal the threads up and one little one towards the end of the IPR that sits in the HPOP you should be able to see the recess if it is missing, but those are the only two.

If you are thinking there is a problem with yours and you know for certain his works I would use his solenoid thing too, just to make sure your problem isn't with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.