Help please, no starter when I turn the key, any ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help please, no starter when I turn the key, any ideas?

Hi everyone, I want to thank and welcome and idea's anyone can provide.

I have a 2002 f250 7.3, I was driving around sat morning and made a couple of stops. When I stopped at Walmart I came back up and turned my key and nothing. I did notice that the gauges would tach out and return to 0, never noticed this before. Shifted ino gear and back to park. tried the remote start, unlocked and locked the doors. Made several attempts and nothing. Popped the bottom off the dash and started checking fuses, nothing. I unplugged the remote start and still nothing. I thought at this point it was the starter. I called a budy and we jumped the startred, it turned over and was working. Even though I am running two brand new optima red tops we hooked up jumpers cables and nothing. I tried jumping the starter again and then all of the sudden it would turn over with the key, but it didn't last long and didn't fire. I noticed that the coil indicator for the glow plugs was not turning off and along with it the check engine light was staying lit. I am having my budy tow it back to his garage so we can work on it in out of the cold. Anyone think of where to start?

Last edited by ibgummy; 01-21-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
im not an expert but it could be your CPS...
Old 01-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I considered that, but wouldn't it still turn over?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
yup your right.... sorry its been a long day...
Old 01-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sure its not your camshaft position sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgummy View Post
Hi everyone, I want to thank and welcome and idea's anyone can provide.

I have a 2002 f250 7.3, I was driving around sat morning and made a couple of stops. When I stopped at Walmart I came back up and turned my key and nothing. I did notice that the gauges would tach out and return to 0, never noticed this before. Shifted ino gear and back to park. tried the remote start, unlocked and locked the doors. Made several attempts and nothing. Popped the bottom off the dash and started checking fuses, nothing. I unplugged the remote start and still nothing. I thought at this point it was the starter. I called a budy and we jumped the startred, it turned over and was working. Even though I am running two brand new optima red tops we hooked up jumpers cables and nothing. I tried jumping the starter again and then all of the sudden it would turn over with the key, but it didn't last long and didn't fire. I noticed that the coil indicator for the glow plugs was not turning off and along with it the check engine light was staying lit. I am having my budy tow it back to his garage so we can work on it in out of the cold. Anyone think of where to start?

I have a friend that manages an auto repair shop and what you're describing sounds like cps. He told me it's pretty common and he recommends everyone with a 7.3 to buy an extra one and stick it in your glovebox. You can change it with a 13mm socket and do the repair in the woods, driveway or Walmart. Saves you a tow bill. I bought one and sold my '99 7.3 since. It's brand new from NAPA at $158.99. I still have it.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:45 AM

Get youre battries and alternator tested. Mine did the exact same thing when both the batteries and alternator went out. I know you said the batterries were new but if the alternator was bad it will fry two new batterries.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsnow View Post
I have a friend that manages an auto repair shop and what you're describing sounds like cps. He told me it's pretty common and he recommends everyone with a 7.3 to buy an extra one and stick it in your glovebox. You can change it with a 13mm socket and do the repair in the woods, driveway or Walmart. Saves you a tow bill. I bought one and sold my '99 7.3 since. It's brand new from NAPA at $158.99. I still have it.
First his does not fit the descrip of a failing CPS, more like dead batterries. Secondly its a 10 mm not a 13
Old 01-25-2007, 04:19 AM

i had the same or similar drama with my f 250 down here and the guages did the same as what you said right over and then back to zero just like any cat machine with vims or vids does when it does its self check when you first turn the key on and my main terminal on my alternator was broken off might be just me or the same roads down under that crack the chassis of all the f trucks behind the cab except the short wheel base single cabs cheers andrew
Old 01-25-2007, 04:57 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

start b y making sure batteries are charged fully ,if you can round up a scanner ,get codes pulled , doesnt soun d like cam sensor to me , would still spin and just not start , if voltage is too low it will cause gauges and warning indicators to act up ,and also a no start concern , like i said ,start with charging batteries and know there good first , always start with the basics before buying parts
Old 01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the ideas. I found that I had a corosition on some of my replays and a shorted out battery. I also blew the fuse the PCM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.