ULSD causing fuel system problems? U decide - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ULSD causing fuel system problems? U decide

I am sure all of you have an opinion on the use of additives. Whether you are pro or con some consideration should be given to you choice. ULSD does not react the same as LSD to additives and ULSD is now being scientifically proven to be causing issues.
Just a short (OK, so not so short) note to pass on some info I received at a training class I attended last week. One of my suppliers offers training on a semi annual basis to update the auto repair industry on current affairs. I was unsure if this training would apply to my techs as we service only a few diesel vehicles. Turns out I was very glad we attended. It seems that the federally mandated introduction of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel on June 1 of 2006 has created an interesting issue for those of us with 06 and earlier diesel vehicles. It is my understanding that the removal of virtually all sulfur from fuel is leading to fuel system problems in larger proportions then originally expected. It seems that LSD (low sulfur diesel) was quite a bit more compatible with additives than the ULSD. The chemists at this training program stated that anti-gel additives typically reduced the temp that fuel starts to gel by up to 25 degrees while ULSD responds at only roughly 11 degrees at best and the lack of lubricity is causing fuel economy loss as well. This is definitely an issue to diesel owners but likely a more important issue is the damage occurring to the fuel system due to the lack of lubricity from the removal of sulfur. There were about 10 diesel and tractor shop owners in attendance who were greatly concerned about the warranty issues they have encountered with fuel system related failures since the introduction of ULSD. One shop owner in particular said in his shop, he has replaced more injection pumps and injectors since April then in all of the previous 2 years. This problem does not seem to be just one particular make but all makes. Shops servicing Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, John Deere and Cat were in attendance.
My concern is those of us who are uneducated about the potential pitfalls of ULSD. Unless your vehicle is serviced by an up to date shop or you have been fortunate enough to learn of these problems through forums like this, how will you know of the potential problems until you fork over 1600.00 for a new pump? The company which provided the training was BG Chemicals who obviously have a product to combat this problem in particular but it was my understanding they are one of a few working on the issue and furthermore one of very few with a product currently available to address it. Sure, the training was a sales tool for the company but it sure opened my eyes!
The minute I got home from the training I used a Google
Search with the parameters "diesel fuel lubricity" and found no references that included ULSD. Most returns were out dated by at least a couple of years. I personally donít care what or if you are using additives. For what it is worth I would suggest you all do some research for yourselves before it hits you in the wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't know nuttin....

I run a quart of new vegi oil in every tank of diesel for the lub properties it gives. I hope this is enough and i will see soon i suppose.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I call it like i see it.I think it is a load of crap!Diesel fuel operates this country and we are already overcharged for it!Just think what this is going to do to the big rigs.But its ok, nobody thinks about what it will do when those guys have to spend tons of money to change things or adapt.The bill will be passed on to us, the consumers.I dont know much about it but i would be willing to bet diesel pollution is 1% of the pollution problem.It is a way for the government to make more money and oil companys also.I may be wrong but that is the way i see it.I use very little diesel so it does not matter much to me but if i am going to get terrible lower mpg,pay 30 to 40 cent more for the fuel,replace 200.00 a piece injectors more often then whats the use to have one?I dont know why they just did not think about getting it made in mexico and they would have saved a ton of money,thats what everbody else does.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:35 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I think, like most of us on this forum, that we are getting hosed in the land of diesel these days. I'm still paying 30-40 cents more a gallon than the gassers and that is BULL beepbeepbeepbeepE! We've gone over this over and over. I'm in the process of getting some local service members together that drive diesels to contact our cogress people and have our voices heard. No, I don't think it is fair and this gouging on diesel fuel prices is ticking me off. About the only way to get it changed is complain to the folks that can do something about it. Personnally, I think we should be paying LESS per gallon just like we did 5-6 years ago. Diesel is cheaper to make than gas, even the new ULSD fuel.

I'm running for President, anyone want to donate to the Ditty For Prez fund?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Emergency Services

luckily, as of now i have a choice if i want ulsd or lsd at different gas stations..but im sure that will change soon.i use the diesel kleen product, but prob going to get fords additive and try it.i guess stanadyne has a good product out too for diesel additive..they are all prob pretty much they same basic product with different names..stupid gas companies what is the deal
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well i think that would be great but why have all the big rig guys,and companys got anything done about it.Just think if you used 100 gallons a day or so.If they have not got anything done about it im sure we few guys cant.I think a big class action would be good.Ha ha sue the govt.lol
Old 01-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
hey dustin just so you know you dont have a choice ULSD has been in pumps nation wide since October no other options federal mandate i hate the stuff
Old 01-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
It's all about making money, no one has to tell you guys that.

I assume one reason they jack up diesel fuel prices is because people use heating oil in the winter a lot more than any other season, so they have a "reason" why it costs more, obviously.. there is a lot more going on than we know, or really want to know.

Diesel WAS lower than 87 octane gasoline, a few cents that was when gas prices were almost 3 bucks/gallon for 93, but within the last few months it has risen above the price of 93 octane gas for the most part.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Diesel hasnt been lower than gas here since George Bush's second year in office Get rid of him and alot of the fuel cost will go back to normal Kinda sucks when the presidents family owns most of the refineries and oil rigs in the US
Old 01-11-2007, 03:00 PM

I just had to spend $3500 to go through my fuel system and i'm pretty sure it was due to the ulsd. and about the changes to get the regular diesel back WHEN WE GET THE OIL COMPANIES OUT OF THE POLITITIONS POCKETS It may happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.