'02 F250 4wd Auto - intermittently dies or won't start, then won't restart for 30 min - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'02 F250 4wd Auto - intermittently dies or won't start, then won't restart for 30 min

I already posted this issue in the transmission thread, but realized, this isn't a transmission problem.

The truck will sometimes not start. It cranks strong and sounds fine, but no start. The tach does not register rpms. The oil pressure gauge will come up to normal after a few seconds of cranking.

Sometimes the truck will die. It can be at idle, or under a load when it dies. The truck will not restart immediately. I have to wait 30 minutes or so. Then it fires up and runs fine. The problem is getting progressively worse.

So far I have checked/fixed the following:

all fuses are fine
relays have been moved around with neighboring relays to try to isolate a problem
the inertia switch has power on both sides and does not appear to trip (however, it has twice started right after pushing the reset button, but many times has not restarted until the "normal" wait time)
replaced the ICP, the old one had oil leaking into the electronics
cleaned and reinstalled the back pressure sensor (the tube leading to the sensor was completely full of soot!)
replaced the CPS
changed the oil
flushed transmission and changed tranny filter
replaced the fuel filter
batteries check at 12.5V (both of them) there is no visible corrosion on the cables
fuel pump runs even when it won't start

It has an aftermarket or deal-installed alarm/immobilzer. There is a small red light on the left side of the steering wheel and a reset button attached to the OBD outlet. There is no name, model or brand information on the box. I found it zip-tied behind the fuse box. There are a lot of splices in the wires leading out of the fuse box, all of which seem to be associated with the alarm/immobilizer.

There is no CEL. The truck does not sputter and die, it just turns off as if the key is turned off. It runs smooth and sounds fine, when running. It idles smoothly as well.

Last Saturday, I ran it over 500 miles pulling a trailer, with no issues. I thought the problem was fixed after replacing the ICP. Today, it has quit on me four times, and left me stranded three times.

I just bought this truck, I do not know much about it, but will probably be calling the dealer I bought it from to see if we can work something out. I already have more than $700 into it in two weeks!

I do not have a scanner and can not read codes or get real time data on the sensors. Last week when it was having the same issues, a friend put it on his scanner and the only code led us to the back pressure sensor, which was eliminated once cleaned, then it died and produced a code which led to the ICP issue.

Bottom line, HELP PLEASE! I would really like to keep this truck, but may be forced to go duke it out with the dealer if I can not resolve this soon and rather inexpensively.

Thanks for making it all the way thru this post! And thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the key fob have a name on it by any chance?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, but it has an insignia on it. I'll post a pic later.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

'02 F250 4wd Auto - intermittently dies or won't start, then won't restart for 30 min-unnamed.jpg

Here is a picture of the FOB.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pulled the ICP plug, truck still doesn't start. The plug is full of oil again?? That's strange since it is new from last week. What are the odds it is bad too?

Truck is now dying after only running 5-10 minutes. Last night it would not start even after a 45 minute wait. Once I towed it home, it started right up. . . . . . .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Did you replace the icp pig tail along with the sensor itself?

Edit: what kind of scanner did your friend use to pull codes?
Old 06-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did not replace the pigtail on the CPS nor on the ICP. However, later on I unplugged and cleaned the connector on the ICP pigtail. It appeared to have no impact on the ability to start the truck.

The scanner was a snap-on. But not sure of the model.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 PM

see if the dealer you bought it from will pay for Ford to run a full out diagnostics.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Spoke with the dealer three times today. He promises his mechanic is calling me back before the end of the day. They have 14 minutes. After that, I don't know what.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:05 PM

Will it start good cold like in the morning but not start after its hot ? if so could be a weak hpop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Berto For This Useful Post:
ErikinSC (06-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.