'00 rough running, no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'00 rough running, no power

Ok, so this morning bright and early I'm headed to town and my fuel pump took a dump on me. No problem, towed her back to the barn, swapped in a new one, primed the system about 15 times (to ensure overkill and try to make sure any air was out). Truck starts up, and it's just retarded how rough it's running. Let it sit for a bit and try again, still retarded. So I swap out the CPS with a brand new one. Little less rough, it's no longer retarded, now it's just stupid. Pulled it out of the barn, and drove it around a bit, no freakin power. I'm talking none. So I pull it back in, jump in another truck and go take care of what I gotta do this afternoon. Going to look at it tomorrow, but what do you guys think? I'm gonna pull the IPR, and clean it tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it start checking uvch. If that's not it then what??? Also the ICP is only about 2 months old and when I looked today there was no oil in the connection. Also no ses light on the dash. All fuses check out. It was running fine this morning before it crapped out on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to add, I also changed the fuel filter right before I swapped in the new pump. So that should be fine.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Start it for just a min and feel the exhaust manifolds to compare their heat to know if you have a dead side first...
Old 05-25-2014, 03:23 AM

I agree it sounds like uvch to me. When you say "no power" are we talking like it can't reach 30 mph or 50 mph? Do you have a laser temp sensor? You can use it to compare temps so you can determine which bank is not working. You could also use a crayon to do the same thing.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok,didn't have time to mess with it at all yesterday, so I am getting ready to head to the barn and go check it out now. Sounds like I will be checking the manifolds first to see if maybe the uvch is loose or bad. I will let y'all know what I find. Thanks guys. Oh and heykw, how does one go about using a crayon to check this sort of thing?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, when I say no power it's not that it won't get to 30mph, it just takes a while to get ther, and it falls of quick. It struggles every step of the way to accelerate at all.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, checked both manifolds, everything was relatively warm except the front half of the passenger side. So I pulled the vc, harness looks good, everything is tight, one wire has a flat spot but it is a glowplug wire. Fired it up, still no heat on the front half of that manifold and still runs crappy, however all 4 injectors appear to be pumping oil out of the deflector spouts. Maybe the harness is bad and I just cant tell? Surely this is not an idm issue? Or maybe it is? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me? I dont know. Ill keep diggin but if anybody thinks of anything let me know.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm kinda leaning towards two injectors being weak, possibly bad. I guess I'll get a gasket and harness and try it to see if it fixes it and if not, then from what I have read and learned, it's probably injectors. Not the best time for this to be happening but I suppose nothing ever breaks at ones convenience.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:28 AM

The crayon will not melt on the manifold that's not getting hot.
I usually would draw a line on both manifolds and compare them to see the melt rates of the crayon right after start up.
If you have the valve covers off I would unplug the injectors that you suspect are not working when the truck is idling and is if the idle changes when the injector is unplugged.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ah, makes sense. I'll work on it a little more tomorrow and try unplugging em and listening to the idle. As things progress and I have a little more time I'll keep posting until my problem is fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.