Newb ?'s about up-pipes/boost leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newb ?'s about up-pipes/boost leak

Quick backstory: Iím still very much a newb when it comes to diesels. I purchased a 100% stock 2003 F-250 in March, and it didn't take but hooking up my 7,000lb boat one time to be extremely underwhelmed by its performance (7 MPG at 65 MPH on the interstate). I know these engines are capable of better performance than that, so I started reading up on and checking the most obvious culprits first (Changed filters, cleaned EBP tube and sensor, etc.). I also took it to a reputable mechanic to look it over, and he told me that my IDM was weak and he also pointed out an obvious boot leak on my driverís side up pipe at the Y collector. After replacing the IDM, I purchased some bellowed up pipes and a boost gauge and tackled that project this weekend.

I installed the boost gauge Friday afternoon (Teeíd into the MAP line) because I wanted a before and after the up pipes comparison of the boost reading. I maxed out at 12 PSI unloaded before installing the up pipes. After a long and miserable weekend I finally finished up the install. While I was in there, I went ahead and installed some of Riff Raffís plenum reinforcements, some Riff Raff CAC boots, and the upgraded clamps. Fired the truck up after I was done and everything seemed to be normal; no smoke, no CEL, nothing out of the ordinary. After taking it on a test drive, about 14 PSI is the most I saw on the boost gauge, and I hear a whooshing type air noise while under a load that I donít recall hearing before. I canít duplicate it in neutral revving, and I canít hear anything at Idle. The best way I can describe it is like a BOV type sound but constant while under acceleration. I know these trucks donít have a BOV, itís just that type of sound. It is most definitely not the normal EPB sound.

So here are my questions: Beyond the obvious double checking all of the connections and clamps, can anyone offer any thoughts or opinions on other things I should probably check while Iím at it? I know it sounds like it would be air leaking from somewhere, but is it possible I could have bumped something else loose? Also, I've read a lot of conflicting information about what the max stock PSI is on these trucks; can anyone tell me what I should realistically be seeing with the pedal floored climbing a decent sized hill in an unloaded stock truck? Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM

I am facing the same thing, and think up pipes as well. Did you check the turbo wheel as well for play and wear when you had everything apart?
The Following User Says Thank You to Zen For This Useful Post:
darkwaterdiver (05-21-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

waste gate on turbo sticking?
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley516 For This Useful Post:
darkwaterdiver (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies fellas. The turbo wheel looks great, spins easily, and doesn't have any sort of play in it to speak of. I ended up buying a new T-bolt clamp and getting a buddy to pull the trans so that I could make dang sure I got that Y-collector on and sealed up good. Weird thing now is I'm still not making any more boost than I was before I did the up pipes despite the fact that the drivers side up pipe did have a visible leak to begin with and the IC boots all checked out OK. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the wastegate might have something to do with it. The only thing I'm sure of at this point is that I don't want to keep throwing $$ at it without at least being able to determine whether or not I'm on the right track.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Maybe get a different compressor wheel? Wicked wheel maybe. If it's the sound I think it's making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.