No Power/rough idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Power/rough idle

Hey guys, need a little help here. I searched around for about an hour and didnt really find anyone having the exact same problem I am having. It all started last night when I put the chip in my truck (TS Perf.). The first weird thing that happend was: I was switching the settings on the dial for the chimp while going down the road at about 15mph and the truck died. It started right back up and the next few times a switched settings it just stumbled. Other than that the truck ran great. Then today when I got on it, the turbo started to spool up and kick in, then all of a sudden the truck just died. Then it was very hard to start and idled like crap. The idle was erratic and lower than normal (fluctuation 500-800rpm with a lot of clatter, clatter goes away at >600-700RPM). Now I have no power at all, only enough to slowly move the truck and its missing a lot. The Servbice Engine Soon light is also ON. I recyled the key 8 times to resert the computer and even disconnected the batteries. No dice. Oil level checks good.

From what I have gathered so far is that it might be my CPS sensor or Valve cover connections. I am going to start by removing the chip after work to eliminate the chip from the whole deal. Then move onto the Valve Covers. I went ahead and ordered the CPS, I can stick it in the glove box for later if it turns out not to be the prblem. Any other sugestions?? I am not looking forward to removing the valve covers. At a quick glance it looks like there is a bunch of crap in the way. Thanks for you time guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

if it started right after chip install...i would clean the contacts again....maybe they have a little stuff on them hindering contact.....

If that isnt it...then you are definately on the right track!!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
I knew u would know what to do marc. Looks like you were on the right track Ryan let me know how it goes.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, it wasnt the Chip.....I should have a new CPS by Friday
Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 PM

hopefully that will fix it. If not it was time for a new one anyway
Old 12-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I would bet if your SES light is on, it still runs, but runs like crap it's your under valve cover connections.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, sure was.....Those valve covers were a biatch to take off....it kicked out codes 1271, 1273, 1293 and 1294...I made my own "wedge" kit instead of buying the stuff from Ford. Just took some aluminum stock and cut it to fit, the valve cover acts a a retainer...it worked out pretty well actually. I would have taken pictures but I didnt have access to a digital camera and I really needed to get the truck back together. Thanks for the info you guys put on this site, it sure is handy.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:12 PM

Good deal man we will see u friday
Old 01-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile Reset computer???

Gimmie9,

I am new to the forum here but have been reading alot of information that has helped me with my 1999.5 F350 7.3 PS. Thanks, this is a great forum!

I noted that you mention cycling ignition 8 times to reset computer, does that give you a complete reset to the factory tune and could it mess the computer up?

The reason I ask is because I have a Predator tuner for my truck and it started being difficult to change tunes. It acted as though the tuner could not communicate with the truck occasionally. It finally got to the point that I was stuck in a tune and could not change it. I sent the tuner back to Diablosport and they repaired an internal wiring problem and returned it to me. I immediately tried it on the truck and it still would not work. Their tech guy talked me through a force method to try and reinstall the original factory tune to no avail.

I thought that it could have been a problem with my ignition switch so I cycled it about 10 times and then attempted to restore the original tune to the truck. It acted as though the original tune was being reinstalled and then halfway through the process the tuner stopped. THEN MY TRUCK WOULD NOT START AT ALL!!!!

Long story short: trip to the dealer and they said the PCM was bad and replaced it, flashing the original program back in. Truck runs great now. Diablosport took my tuner back in for the second time to test and now they tell me that they are giving me a new tuner.

Could I have messed something up by cycling the ignition? Would you all guess that the PCM was just going bad since I had communication troubles? Or should I believe that the tuner went bad and screwed my computer up?

Alot of questions for a first time post, but this has been a very frustrating and expensive ordeal!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RRlocoENGR; 01-29-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.