Truck will start after 20 or so tries - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck will start after 20 or so tries

I am new to this group but hoping you can help me out. I have a 2000 F350 7.3 Powerstroke with 133,000 miles on it. In the last several months it has been a very hard starting truck. The temperature can be 60 degrees out and I have to cycle through the starting sequence up to 20 to 30 time to get the truck to fire up. If I get it started and run it for an hour or so, it will start up again as usual, but left overnight the problem begins again. I have changed the fuel filter and that does not seem to help. The CPS, IPR, and HPOP are original to the truck and never changed. The only modification made was a set of gauges added. The tach stopped working 5 years ago and I have not changed the instrument cluster to fix it. It does blow white smoke when it does fire up.

When I turn on the key the WTS light comes on and I can here what sounds like a small pump humming or pressurizing, this continues for a minute or so after the WTS light goes out. Once the sound is gone, the there is enough power in the batteries to spin the starter. After the first round of trying, the small humming sound goes away and all I wait for is the click to tell me the glow plugs are no longer taking power. Then I try and it cranks fast but no joy on the start. After many tries it suddenly pops off and runs fine. My wife does tell me she thinks there is less power going up grades than there used to be but it never falters once it gets started and runs.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it smoke out of the tailpipe any when your cranking?
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe0816 For This Useful Post:
ledingd (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Joe,

Thanks for the quick reply. It does seem to. I see puffs of white smoke in the side mirror when I crank it. When it does start, I get a large puff of white smoke that disappears in about 10 seconds. Once started it idles fine and does not stop.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 PM

When is the last time u threw some diesel kleen in it or filled up fuel bowl with some seafoam? It may be as simple as dirty injectors. May not be giving enough fuel to start it and would explain loss of power. Have u ever tried pushing gas pedal at startup?
ledingd (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Joe,

I have not tried that. I do add fuel conditioner to the tank. I will open the filter housing, and add sea foam this weekend. Good stuff. On the hard starting, do you think I could have a problem with the glow plug relay? it does start just fine when I have the head bolt heater plugged in. At least it did a few months ago.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Winning DUHHH

My bet is gpr, check voltage on gp side of gpr right after you turn key on

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to Young-SC-Owner For This Useful Post:
ledingd (04-29-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM

People on here like to drain the entire bowl, then fill the whole bowl with seafoam, but don't do that. I would only use about half bottle. Reason being that diesel actually lubricates the injectors were as seafoam dries it out. As to the glow plug relay, it's worth a shot to check, heres a link that shows you how : http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...ug%20Relay.pdf
ledingd (04-28-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Winning DUHHH

OP, You can also use power service in the bowl, I drain and fill it with power service every filter change. 176k and still fires up at -15f not plugged in

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The Following User Says Thank You to Young-SC-Owner For This Useful Post:
ledingd (04-29-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I work out of town and won't be back until Friday to check out the GPR. I did have my wife plug in the truck last night to see if it would fire up on the head bolt heater. Started on the first try this morning. That seems to add more evidence the it could be the GPR. I am getting some diesel kleen today to treat the injectors.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tested the GPR and found 0 volts on the output side after I engaged the key. I changed it out and the truck now starts up fine. I still hear a clicking or buzz coming from the engine compartment on the passenger side. Can this be a failing vacuum pump? I have to wait unit the buzzing stops before I turn the key. It seems to put enough load on the battery that the engine starter is markedly slower when I turn the key while the noise is present. This is new and I can't every remember hearing this before.

Thanks for all you help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.