totally stranded..... truck will not prime fuel or start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NoRalPh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
totally stranded..... truck will not prime fuel or start

okay guys I have a problem I am stuck and I need helpI rent it out of fuel yesterday I know that was stupid but my fuel gauge does act up but know this I should keep it that way over a quarter tank at all times. Its got at lesst 4 gal. In now. Anyway I can't get the truck to re prime I don't know what I'm doing wrong I know I got massive amounts of Air iin the lines because I happen to have a hydraulic bed and I took the cap off thefuel tank to replace the fuel sending unit. I've already gone through one bottle of ether sprayng tiny bits at a time to keep the truck running to try to turn the pumps on. I filled up the fuel bowl myself with diesel and then tried it with either and yes the ether burns and runs but the diesel will not burn. apparently the fuel is not getting to the injectors I have checked the oil reservoir in front of the HPOP and it is full, but is bubbling, not bubbling but kind of surging up and down really slow and little. . I have also disconnected the ICP sensor to try to get a start but to no avail.I I have a battery charger hooked up to it really good ones so that's not an issue its cranking over nice and fast, but just not firing up. I would sure like to leave if there's any way anybody could give me advice I would sure appreciate it thanks in advance.

Last edited by dieselhate; 04-23-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try draining the fuel bowl. Then turning the key to the on position and see if it fills back up. That will at least tell you you have fuel to the bowl and your fuel pump is working. Also NEVER use ether in a diesel. It has a very high risk of igniting on your glow plugs and burning your truck up. Hope I could be of some help for you.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 AM

you were right the fuel bowl isnt filling up on its own. but why wouldnt the diesel that i put in it burn? im suspecting my fuel pump and took it off, i cant blow through it. does that mean its clogged? also, i took the fuel sending unit out of the tank and it is very clean. should the sending unit actually send fuel to the pump? if so, i should be able to see fuel coming out of the line before the pump right? i would hate to buy another fuel pump. any ideas?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 AM

your pump is a lift pump. If plugged up, then nothings' being lifted. The "return" line could be also plugged up. Your best bet is to do the HUTCH mod. Inside the cannister could be all gummed up, but exterior looks "clean", hence, the junk in the fuel pump...
Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Start with the Easy stuff,,,, Go put 5 more gallons in (couldn't hurt and the 4 you have now might not be enough to cover a fallen-off pick up).
Fantom and dieselhate like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRalPh For This Useful Post:
dieselhate (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 AM

yeah thats what im gonna do haha its happened before and i left a truck sitting for a month, then i put 5 more gallons in and it fired right up, if that doesnt work, then gpr, the cps, then im gonna set the truck on fire.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
pics of the fire!!!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM

got it going again.....fuel pump bad again, got another, put it in, primed it 3 times, and it fired up in half a crank
Old 04-30-2014, 09:02 AM

cool deal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.