Random jerking at highway speeds...? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random jerking at highway speeds...?

I bought my truck about 5,000 miles ago and about 3 times now, it has had this random surging/jerking when I am cruising down the highway. It feels as though the RPMS are jumping by 25, then going down 25, etc... for about 1-2 minutes and then it goes away. Just enough to notice it really.

Any ideas as to a possible cause for this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 30,943
Thanks: 105
Thanked 87 Times in 81 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
What year truck?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's a 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 30,943
Thanks: 105
Thanked 87 Times in 81 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Where are you located? If youre in the Winona MN area I can run it through some tests with AE and check it out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aww man that is a shame. I went to college at Winona State but am now back in Green Bay.

Thanks though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,738
Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Where are you located? If youre in the Winona MN area I can run it through some tests with AE and check it out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Damn Dave i never realized you were that close to me Every come down to to QC area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winona78 View Post
I bought my truck about 5,000 miles ago and about 3 times now, it has had this random surging/jerking when I am cruising down the highway. It feels as though the RPMS are jumping by 25, then going down 25, etc... for about 1-2 minutes and then it goes away. Just enough to notice it really.

Any ideas as to a possible cause for this issue?
My OBS does this and im thinking its my TC slipping a bit but im not 100% it could be fuel pressure related. Any way to read your FP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a fuel pressure gauge installed but it is a the Glowshift one and doesn't work properly sometimes. I'll have to check next time the jerking happens.

Could the TC be a problem even if the 4x4 isn't engaged?

I had something similar happen to my 2002 trailblazer I used to own when I blew a transmission fluid line, but that jumped up and down 100-125RPM every half second. Not sure if the two could possibly be related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,738
Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by winona78 View Post
I have a fuel pressure gauge installed but it is a the Glowshift one and doesn't work properly sometimes. I'll have to check next time the jerking happens.

Could the TC be a problem even if the 4x4 isn't engaged?

I had something similar happen to my 2002 trailblazer I used to own when I blew a transmission fluid line, but that jumped up and down 100-125RPM every half second. Not sure if the two could possibly be related.
TC as in Torque Converter, sorry for the confusion. But i would check fuel related issue before jumping to conclusions about the trans. Doubtful the issues are related. If you blew a trans line you would have trans fluid everywhere and the temp of the trans would shoot through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
TC as in Torque Converter, sorry for the confusion. But i would check fuel related issue before jumping to conclusions about the trans. Doubtful the issues are related. If you blew a trans line you would have trans fluid everywhere and the temp of the trans would shoot through the roof.

Ah okay, thanks for letting me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 30,943
Thanks: 105
Thanked 87 Times in 81 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Damn Dave i never realized you were that close to me Every come down to to QC area?



My OBS does this and im thinking its my TC slipping a bit but im not 100% it could be fuel pressure related. Any way to read your FP?
Once in a while yeah. I will message you next time I do

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
bucking, jerking, random

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors