'01 PSD Excursion won't start with DP Tuner after re-install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'01 PSD Excursion won't start with DP Tuner after re-install

Hello!
I'm getting my excursion ready to sell (2wd XLT) and as part of the process, went to a shop last week to get some new keys programmed and a smog check.

Everything went fine with the keys and smog, but I was required to remove my DP tuner (10 month old F5 unit, custom tuned for my ecu) before going to the shop so it would pass the visual check.

When i re-installed the tuner module this morning, the "Theft" light was rapidly flashing and the engine would not start, just kept turning over. I tried a few times. One time, I did unplug just the module, turned the ignition on, off, and plugged the module back in, and it started. But then it died 30 seconds later, and each subsequent attempt was similar to the very first. No check engine light or codes.

I ended up removing it entirely, and have no problems.

I have done a little searching, and came up with a couple potential fixes. one here: 2000 excursion wont start with tuner - TheDieselGarage.com , where the OP said "When you install a tuner on an excursion with the PATS system it needs to reset.. After the tuner is installed and you turn the ignition off you need to turn the ignition back on....... the theft light flashes rapidly for about a minute and will stop...turn the key off then back on and the theft light will turn on as usual. PATS reset and truck starts and runs like a champ. "

Somebody here: Problem after installing DP-Tuner PCM - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums said something similar, "I had this with the superchips on my 01 Ex. It is caused by the PATS and what you should try is to turn the key on and wait (1-2 minutes) until the flashing slows down or stops. Then turn ignition off. Then turn ignition back on and the light should flash slowly (normally) and you should be able to crank. This is printed in the SC manual for vehicles with PATS like ours."

Does this sound like it might fix the problem? I have emailed Jody, but of course, he doesn't work Friday-Sunday.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you have any luck fixing it?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM

I never did, and just sold the Excursion.

I did contact Jody at DP Tuner, and he said to make sure all of the silicone was cleaned off the ecu, and I never followed up again.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Does the tuner show numbers or does it just have a blinking red dot in the bottom corner?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:53 AM

It was showing numbers.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You have to make sure the connectors are installed the correct way if they are upside down on either side between the PCM and the switch the truck will have a crank no start condition.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:42 PM

Not my problem anymore, but thanks for the reply.

To my recollection, the plugs were notched. Pretty hard to screw that up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.