Few issues with my new project truck, and ?'s as to what to look for. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jason.
Few issues with my new project truck, and ?'s as to what to look for.

Well, picked up an 01 f350 ccsb lariat as a project, its a 1 owner florida truck with 200k miles on it, have been driving it here and there when I don't want to drive my roush and today it left me with a few questions..

First, loaded the kids up and took it to dinner, ran great all the way there, on the way home I get in it and the low fuel light comes on, no problem lets head to get some fuel. As I'm pulling into the gas station, it starts lugging feeling like its going to stall, figure the gauge may just be off a little no big deal and threw some fuel in it. Fire it up, still idling funny and lugging, has a little lack of power, drove it for a few thinking it may have sucked up some trash from the bottom of the tank, still weird for about 10 mins then cleared up outta nowhere.. Very odd? Being a 200k mile truck I'm thinking maybe some injector o-rings, and needing the fuel filters changed? Not sure.

The second thing, is this transmission sometimes slips a little on takeoff, then catches and goes, and shifts rather late (like I'll be driving, its at 2500-3000 and not shifting until I let off the gas a little, then will shift), and when i take it out of gear like to put it in park it will rev up everytime, curious if I should try a full tranny flush and service first to see if that fixes it or just go ahead and pull apart for a rebuild.

edit: 3rd thing, hood release inside the truck won't open the hood, feels like the cable is stretched out and not working when I pull the release, how do I go about getting the hood open?? lol

Basically, all I have ever owned has been 6.0's and they were all bought fairly new with low miles, never owned a 200k mile truck that I didn't put the miles on before, but I couldnt pass the deal up on this, and I've always wanted to build a nice clean reliable 7.3 that will last a lifetime. What should be some of my first steps to take to turn this thing into a daily driver??

Last edited by Jason.; 04-17-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sounds like you're on the right track with both 1 and 2. With 200k there could be a myriad of things you'll end up playing with...I'd start with the cheap stuff. lol

Definitely drain the trans and check the filter/fluid....don't forget the sniff test. I'd toss the trans cooler and go to a 6oh cooler. It's got plenty of miles on it and they can plug up....you don't know the POs maintenance.

On the hood I'd grab the cable from under the dash with pliers and get it open that way. I have one if you need it. I'll donate it to the cause if you get the ride.

Good luck man!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 PM

1. HUTCH mod needs done on the fuel system

2. sounds like the tranny needs flushed. With 200k, who knows if/whenit was done. Theres a simple way of flushing them, here posted somewhere..google as well

3. the release could be outa whack under the hood and/or cable could be done....

Congrats on the ride....

Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Pages
Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 AM

Going to start with the cheap stuff at first, I'm a sales manager for a ford dealership, so I'm going to bring it in and have them do a FULL service on it. Gonna replace the injector o-rings and glow plugs while I'm in there, although theres no signs of the glow plugs needing replacing.

Another thing it did the other day when I started it, was it loped/surged at idle for about 10 seconds then evened out. Not sure what that's from, but well get it figured out aswell
Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 AM

if no snoke or fuel filter black, no need for oring replacement
Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
Going to start with the cheap stuff at first, I'm a sales manager for a ford dealership, so I'm going to bring it in and have them do a FULL service on it. Gonna replace the injector o-rings and glow plugs while I'm in there, although theres no signs of the glow plugs needing replacing.

Another thing it did the other day when I started it, was it loped/surged at idle for about 10 seconds then evened out. Not sure what that's from, but well get it figured out aswell
IF you end up doing this you may wanna think about doing injector cups too. the parts are only bout $100 and it would be piece of mind with 200k.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

These things are famous for the fuel gauges not being very accurate, and most PSD truck guys have learned to A: don't get below 1/4 tank and NEVER below 1/8 and B: keep some clean fuel, maybe a spare filter, a CPS and any tool needed to open the water separator drain or replace a CPS on side of the road. Chances are, if the truck cleared up after a few miles, you probably had air in your fuel system after getting so low, maybe did suck some trash in there, so you may not need cups, O-rings, etc. Maybe try pulling the hood cable from underneath the dash with a pair of pliers, while having a buddy bump the hood, sometimes they just jump up. Once open, the hood cable or latch may be able to be adjusted some... it could have been misaligned during a collision or repair. Then, change that fuel filter with a Motorcraft filter every 10,000 miles.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 AM

Oh I know all too well about keeping a spare filter and tools. I've had a few 6.0s now this is actually my first 7.3. I was going to actually trade the Roush in on a new 6.7 until this little diamond in the rough came along. 1 owner Florida truck with 200k miles and everything works as it should. Can't pass it up. Actually driving her to work today for a full service, tranny flush and all.

This morning it drove so good, no tranny issues nothing so it leads me to believe a full service may get this thing going in the right direction mechanically then I'll feel better about dumping a ton of money to get it looking how I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.