Start but died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Start but died

Currently my truck is in Michigan and my dad suppose to drive it out here to Wyoming in two weeks. But the other day my dad started the truck to let it warm up and it died 3-5 minutes later and could never get it to start again. I had him change fuel filter and he said it looked terrible but still nothing. So next I had him check to make sure the hpop had oil in it which it did before and after cranking. So after that I had him unplug the icp sensor because someone told me that might work but still nothing. Just wondering what else I could check

Last edited by M1ch1gander; 04-17-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My usual No Start -

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Do you see cranking rpm on the Tach? Do you have a spare CPS to try? (here you should have posted the yr of your truck it May/May Not show cranking rpm)

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?)

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's a 2000 6 speed so it does have a tach
But not sure what the WTS light is. he said everything on the dash cycles and turns off.
Batteries are brand new interstate batteries
Fuel bowl is full
Can hear fuel pump running.
He tried to start it with me on the phone and it does try to start just doesn't completely catch
Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM

Sorry,,, WTS = Wait To Start

It's thought of (but Not really) the Glow Plug Light and it should come on for like 15 seconds to show the computer is running

Is the Tach needle rising slightly on the starter? (shows the PCM "sees" it's turning over and that the CPS (CrankPositionSensor) is working - a common failure.

New batteries does not mean it's cranking "fast enough". The computer needs to see a minimum of 100rpm to trigger the injection system and start. Also needs to see a high enough voltage too, in a 2000 something over 10v.

If it's "sputtering that's a good sign though. Make sure the fuel bowl refills by draining and turning the key on to know you have fuel delivery. Lack of it would act exactly as you describe. Hearing the fuel pump running is NOT the same as confirming you have fuel delivery. Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

Gotta go, Good Luck
Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Sorry,,, WTS = Wait To Start

It's thought of (but Not really) the Glow Plug Light and it should come on for like 15 seconds to show the computer is running

Is the Tach needle rising slightly on the starter? (shows the PCM "sees" it's turning over and that the CPS (CrankPositionSensor) is working - a common

Gotta go, Good Luck

Ya the light comes on my dad said and when he cracks it the tach needle does rise so that's good he drained it a few times he said didn't look like a clean diesel color

So I guess I should have told ya. I parked it at my dad's house while I moved to Wyoming, so it sat since December with the new batteries out of the truck. And I had him put a anti gel fuel stabilizer in the fuel for the winter, hopefully the rite mixture like I told him. Well last week he put batteries on a charge for a while and put them back in truck, he said it started rite up and even drove it around for a couple of days than it started to give him this problem yesterday. So maybe the fuel is bad, never really heard of diesel going bad though so I don't know

Last edited by M1ch1gander; 04-17-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 AM

Algae can actually grow in diesel, especially as it "sits" after getting a contaminated load.

If the filter looks black & slimy again, after just a couple of days running, that might well be the reason. Maybe try another filter and closely inspect the fuel you get from the drain. Shouldn't be Black at ALL.

Do this before & after you start the engine. If the fuel doesn't turn black until After it's run a bit you might be seeing Engine Oil in the fuel (leaked there from the Injector O-Rings failing)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Do this before & after you start the engine. If the fuel doesn't turn black until After it's run a bit you might be seeing Engine Oil in the fuel (leaked there from the Injector O-Rings failing)
Well my dad got it turn on by chance I guess. But I'm still iffy on it. He's gonna start it and drive it around town for awhile tomorrow. If it were leaking by the o-rings, would the engine run rough or have loss of power?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 AM

Not really, what would be obvious is the loss of engine oil....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.