Truck shakes in warmer weather, fine in cold weather - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 02:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck shakes in warmer weather, fine in cold weather

As the weather is warming up I have noticed that the truck idles rough and shakes in lower rpm. Whether the truck is warm or cold it does not seem to matter, however when the ambient temp is colder (below 40) the truck does not seem to have any issues, all is normal. But above 40 it starts to develop a shake between idle and 1200 rpm. If it is above 60 degrees it has a very rough idle and shakes up to about 1500 rpm. I still plug in my truck at night and have no issues on the 30 minute drive to work at 6am when it's cool out. But on lunch break and after work when it's warmer the truck shakes and intensifies with the outdoor temp. It gets to almost 100 here in the summer so I need to fix this soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Also I spend the weekends in a different area that is about 10-15 degreese warmer than my home, when I am there the truck will shake really bad in the morning because it's warmer there so I know it's not an issue about sitting overnight and cooling down.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds fuel or oil related.

how long since you changed the oil?

i had a shake at idle before as well, i rebuilt the Fuel pressure regulator and it helped some.

i the replaced the icp and that helped more.

also i run synthetic oil and the truck runs smoother.

on a random note you can try a different cps.
i recommend the delphi hts101. little smoother starts and idle over the ford grey cps.

why do you need to plug your truck in? mine starts fine in the teens unplugged.
any codes?

Last edited by blue99stroker; 04-15-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:14 AM

I plug in my truck still so it's warm in the morning and doesn't need as much warm up time. I leave my apartment at 5:30 am and my neighbors don't care for a straight piped powerstroke running that early, it's a courtesy to them really.
I changed my oil about 3k miles ago with the usual schaefers full synthetic like always. Oil sample was good. But it was colder then so the issue might have been present but not noticeable until the weather changed. I have all original sensors
Old 04-16-2014, 06:11 PM

And no codes, but it's possible my chip might clear codes that it thinks it should ignore, I'm not sure if it's capable of that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.