What is this noise? **VIDEO** - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is this noise? **VIDEO**

I think I have narrowed this down to something todo with the pulley's. Truck makes a awful sound starting at 2300-2500 RPM depending on how long the truck has been running. It cycles in and out with out changing RPMS. The truck is going to the shop this weekend for a new tranny (see rpms in video) new fan clutch(stuck engaged) and new Power steering pump (weak) I would like to be able to tell him which pulley is bad so I dont waste cash replacing a good pulley. Has any one had this issue before?

2001 7.3 powerstroke crazy noise - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

id pull the intake and inspect the compressor wheel before anything
Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am 100% sure it is in the belt/pulleys

Some 7.3 engines may exhibit a loud squeal noise from the engine area when the engine is under load and the fan clutch is locked up, typically in hot and dusty conditions. Another complaint may be the fan clutch oscillating or not locking up. This may be due to dust accumulating on the back side of the belt and causing it to slip on the water pump pulley. This usually affects only 2002 model/year vehicles, but may occur in trucks built from 99-01 if the belt was replaced after July 01. On single rear wheel trucks, replace the serpentine belt with P/N 1C2Z-8620-NA on single-alternator engines, and 1C2Z-8620-PA on dual-alternators. Broadcast Message 3848. A service kit has been released for 2002 trucks only. It includes a belt, tensioner and water pump pulley. Use 2C3Z-8620-AA for single alternator and 2C3Z-8620-BA for dual alternators. Broadcast Message 0718.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

transmissions can make all kinds of crazy noises and it looks like you know you have transmission problems anyway. i would start with tranny rebuild and troubleshoot from there
Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
transmissions can make all kinds of crazy noises and it looks like you know you have transmission problems anyway. i would start with tranny rebuild and troubleshoot from there
Its going monday. Found a retired ford master mechanic in my area who has a 4 bay shop at his house. All he does is work on these trucks. Im getting a full tranny rebuild for $1,100 and hes doing the fan clutch and power steering pump. I'm not a very patient person so waiting to get this truck done is killing me. But for only having $5,000 in it so far I can't complain.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

after the rebuild and if noise is gone and truck shifts good and ur stoked, you should see if he wouldnt mind being mentioned here/other forums. Thats a GREAT price
Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Blckchry, please post results when you get them. I have the same issue with mine but it's only after about 100 miles of travel. Usually 80-85 mph 2400 rpm.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok so here's what's up with the truck. Tranny guy is going to get my foot up his ***. I paid him to rebuild the tranny but all he did was replace the worn parts and pocket the rest of the $$$. Shift packs are now acting up and he was supposed to replace them. The noise is gone, it was in the belts. Replaced fan clutch and power steering pump and a new belt. No issues. Put the air raid on last night. Sounds amazing! Just working on fixing power door locks. Because of the regency interior kit taking door panels downward breaking **** then glueing panels back together. Pita but will be nice to have worki v door locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.