No power, Help!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power, Help!!!

Hello from a new member. I have been having a really strange problem with my 2001 f350 7.3 dually. It started to have hardly any power when going @60 mph. It goes a little faster going down a hill and a little slower going up a hill, but averages @60. I'm new to the world of diesels and so I have been reading a lot. The problem just started about a week ago. I recently just bought this truck about a month ago. It has 75K miles, not much for a 01. I recently changed the fuel filter, air filter, Ipc. Ipr, Cps and had an oil change. I'm thinking maybe clogged fuel tank screens. It will start right up, keep idle, and run good till it hits @60. Then I try to accelerate a little more and it just revs up RPMS but doesn't go any faster. The code is 1211, but I replaced the Ipc. Maybe hpop ??Any thoughts?

Last edited by Drbruno4; 04-08-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Any thoughts???
Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think the whole "60mph" things is weird though....

I mean, if it's just about rpm then why not 2,000 in first gear? (maybe try that...)

Next, I'd be wondering about Boost. Could you have a leaking IC Boot maybe? Not developing enough pressure from the turbo would do it too.

The 1211 is an ICP code, is that what you replaced or was it the IPR? In either case, those are expensive sensors to just "try". The problem might actually originate with the HPOP pressure or a HP Oil leak but, with your mileage, it would be less likely than others.

Here's the thing, if you plan on keeping this truck for awhile then you should invest in the tools to diagnose it (we need specialized scanners). The best choice is the AutoEnginuity w/Ford Enhanced package ($350) you add an old computer. If you have an Android device there is much useful information available from the "Torque App" (you add a BT adapter - search here there's a lot of info) (>$50) but not nearly as good. I would do one or the other and learn how to use them. You need something to monitor the sensors (like the ICP & IPR) to help you figure-out what's going on, now and for the future

For now, if you need this resolved right away I would suggest getting it diagnosed, even if you have to pay for it, to save you from spending any more than you already have for something you may not need. On the Free side, once you get the tank low doing something like the Hutch Mod, to eliminate the clogged screes, might be a good thing to try now anyway.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Yes I'm keeping truck that is why I just bought it a month ago. The truck ran fine till about a week ago.The parts aren't costing me anything as a friend of mine father has a small fleet of these 7.3, so I'm just borrowing the parts to try to see if they work. I did buy the Cps, no change. The Icp and ipr were just put on to see if there was a difference. Which they're wasn't. I'm trying to go through the steps. It idles fine, no smoke has response to throttle when I push on it ( in park). But when under load it doesn't seem to have the get up and go. I looked at turbo fan, it feels smooth and NOT real loose. I did hook up to diagnostic scan tool. It showed duty was at 65, very high. And codes were 1211 and 1212, which I believe is the icp. But I changed it and still the same. I believe something is giving the scanner a false reading. I did look at IC boots, all are tight and look Ok. The only thing I can think of is the screens are clogged, that's why under load is looses power?? It starving for fuel. Could it possibly have anything to do with torque converter or transmission? Would that give a code? Any help, Please....

Last edited by Drbruno4; 04-08-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure starving for fuel would give you a 65% IPR though...

Here's what I have on 1211 & 1212;

P1211{2}ICP Pressure Is Above/Below Desired, Faulty IPR Valve

P1211{1}{3}-ICP Pressure Uncontrollable, Pressure Above/Below Desired

from the "Dieslemans Site under Tech Info"

Loss of power, usually after a hard acceleration; Rough idle; Check engine light comes on, DTC P1211:
Intermittent high pressure oil leakage.
This condition usually occurs when the vehicle is cold and the oil is thick. When performing a hard acceleration, the truck suddenly looses power, the check engine light comes on, and once returning to idle the engine runs rough and won't accelerate. Cycling the key may correct the concern, clearing the code from the PCM will correct it temporarily. If you can monitor data stream, at idle the ICP pressure normally is 400-700 PSI and the IPR duty cycle is 9-14%; at cruise, ICP is 700-1200 pSI and IPR is 15-20%; under normal acceleration, ICP is 1200-2000 PSI and IPR is 20-30%; and under WOT accel, the ICP is up to 3600 PSI and the IPR is 35% or higher. When the above symptom occurs, typically the idle ICP reading will be normal, but the IPR duty cycle will be high--over 20% and up to the max 50%. A "blow-by" condition has occured somewhere in the HP oil circuit. If you can get the problem to re-occur with some frequency, the most probable cause is worn or deteriorated injector or IPR o-rings. If the problem is intermittent, it could be a sticking IPR valve. Replace the injector o-rings with the latest-level kits--F8TZ-9229-AA. When replacing the IPR, make sure you get the correct part for the build date/serial number of your engine.

P1212{2}-ICP Higher That Expected KOEO

P1212{1}{3}-ICP Voltage Not At Expected Level

And this from the AE Forum;

P1211 - "ICP Higher/Lower Than Desired" (7.3L)

We all know that this code is commonly caused by "Hot Chips" that are demanding more Injection Control Pressure (ICP) than the High Pressure Oil Pump can deliver. For what it's worth, these are the exact parameters that trigger this code:

* ICP 410psi Higher Than Desired for 7 Seconds
* ICP 280psi Lower Than Desired for 7 Seconds

This code can also be caused by legitimate High Pressure Oil System issues. Below is a list of some of the causes:

* Failed or Sticking IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator)
* Failed or Weak HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump)
* Any Leak in High Pressure Oil System (o-ring, stuck injector, etc.)
* Low Fuel Pressure (Rare)
Old 04-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Also we did a buzz test and all injectors seem the same.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM

I don't think fuel starvation would give 65% IPR. I was dropping below 40 psi for fuel and my IPR never went above 39% Checking screens wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd also go ahead and check fuel pressure at idle, WOT, and free revving just to eliminate the fuel side as a probable cause.

You said it just revs up but doesn't really go any faster. I'm assuming it's downshifting out of overdrive correct? As in your torque convertor is locking properly.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Yup it goes into a almost a neutral mode and RPMS go up and speed go down . I let up on throttle and I kicks in to gear again and I'm good until I try to give it more throttle.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

As long as I stay @60 I'm good, try to go faster and it happens
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM

What did the fuel filter look like when you changed it? Any oil in the fuel bowl? Also a buzz test only checks the electrical side of an injector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.