Problems with throttle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems with throttle

weird thing about the truck i noticed, it was running hotter egts than normal yesterday for some reason. i know it was really windy, but normally i back into the driveway and it is normally cool enough to shut off(below 400) but yesterday it was still 475....feels like something is shuddering under loads like going up steeper hills (at high way speeds) and it feels a little underpowered. I am wondering if something is going on with the converter. at idle it will draw down the revs about 100 rpms and then pop back up to 600/650 for a minute, then draw down again to about 500/550....

What's this sound like to y'all?
Coming back from Rudy's truck jam last month, the truck was running fine all the way down the road. its a little over 3 hours over there from me. Drove great on all the way over never missed a beat. On the way back about maybe 40 miles from home it started this In and Out kind of no throttle response type thing. it would do it maybe once every 5 to 10 miles. And that's it. it never fully lost throttle response, my gauges never fluctuated my WTS light never came on, nothing like that. but it was just like I had all the sudden taken my foot off the throttle going down the interstate, when I actually hadnt moved my foot off the throttle. thought it might have been something with low fuel because I had about an eighth of a tank and maybe I have a cracked pickup tube or something so I pulled over and got fuel and it did it may be a couple more times going down the road right after I got fuel. So maybe there was air in the lines? But then all the sudden this shuddering things started and the higher egts thing happened. I haven't done a buzz test or anything like that. No codes are showing up, and I'm thinking that it might be something with my torque converter maybe? I have a built transmission with a warranty so I'm not worried about fixing it at all but I just don't want to leave me stranded somewhere. could it be in IDM problem? I have checked all my grounds battery terminals and the like, and nothing is loose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 05:38 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Bump....

Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
it was just like I had all the sudden taken my foot off the throttle going down the interstate, when I actually hadn't moved my foot off the throttle.
That would have me thinking about the TPS, it's not an uncommon failure and at the beginning, it's intermittent, happening only occasionally in particular percentages. You'd have to be monitoring it's value though and be lucky to catch it when it happens.

All the stuff in the first paragraph would be unrelated to it, maybe you have more than one issue?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I will try the tps...that's what I was thinking anyhow...just wanted some more info to go on....

Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

Well how did you make out?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Well I put a new t_p_s sensor on it 1 that I had under warranty. And it seems to be okay, better possibly. But it shut off on me when I came to stop at the exit ramp coming off the interstate. It's almost like the torque converter is not unlocking all the way sometimes when I come to a stop....and it also seems that when I'm pulling a hill it wants to unlock and lock and maybe that's where my drop in power coming from....egts seem to go down just a little bit so maybe the throttle position sensor or pedal position sensor was partially to blame on the whole ordeal....I really need to get a scan tool and monitor the locking and unlocking of the torque converter to see if that's the actual issue....I hope to be getting my traction bars put back on this Saturday so I probably won't have time to mess with it too much

Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Bought a new cps from Ford...changed it to see if that helps with my hunting idle problem when the motor gets to operating temp...Will post up results tomorrow evening after I drive it

Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Ok, so idle doesn't hunt anymore....truck seems to come down to an idle very nicely now, and never wanted to cut off...I hope this fixed it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.