Puking white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking white smoke

Late 99 F350

So I am thinking (hoping) this is a result of a total rookie mistake on my part, but will give the full rundown.

Current known issues:
-IPR is leaking, proper deep socket should be here tomorrow to rebuild
-Discovered ICP has think layer of oil yesterday

On Monday my Hydra showed up and after having some initial issues got it functioning properly. Discovered after a test run, my oil pan was leaking from the dipstick opening. Repaired the leak, and found a left over quart of two stroke oil from one of my bikes (cheap 7-11 stuff) which I added to what I thought was a full tank, but wound up being just under half. Forgot it was my other truck I filled the previous day. Been running 2 stroke for the last 8 or so fill ups with no issue.

4" exhaust was installed on Thursday (truck hadn't moved since Tuesday), and after a couple runs down the street noticed it smoking under moderate (and up) throttle.

Finally got to mess with it today and at start up it puffs black and white smoke. While idling it will smoke and if I give it throttle it will sometimes start smoking excessively when it drops back to base idle. Drove it a bit and it smokes almost all the time. Once in awhile it will actually run clean briefly but will quickly change to smoking again.

I didn't get any codes, and ran a buzz test which all injectors passed. Tried a few different tunes, stock setting, and even pulled the chip. All methods resulted in the same excessive smoke.

Truck went from running perfectly fine to smoking like a steam engine after doing the exhaust which makes no sense. Figured it may be a timing thing with my adding the 2 stroke oil just prior to exhaust. Filled the tank tonight and seemed marginally better after idling 15 minutes.

Injector o-rings were done 3 years ago, as well as an injector. Turbo (stock) seems to be fine as well. Hoping my over diluting with the oil is the cause of this.

Last edited by Screw-Rice; 03-23-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ran a contribution test today and got a P0248 #8 cylinder.

Truck didn't want to start today and yesterday after sitting overnight. Once running it idled rough and smoothed out once up to temp. Isn't smoking as much at idle, but even light throttle it continuously smokes.

Is it safe to say my #8 is dead? Trying to be sure before I tear it apart tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ran it to a shop the other day. Got word that they don't think it's the turbo, but they are worried they may not be able to properly diagnose due to it being modded.

So picked it up and on the drive home it seems to be smoking less, but still continues under load. May be coincidence, but seems the smoke has lightened when I disconnected the MAT sensor. Waiting on my replacement sensor this afternoon and will ohm out the injectors since it's the one thing I haven't done before I pull the valve cover.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Replace your ipr and you icp if it's leaking. If that don't help Cheack fuel pressure and cps

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Will be doing the IPR later today and verify the ICP is leaking.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

fill up da tank, dude...if havnt mentioned that already. change the filter too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.