Trucks a Dog pulling 5000 LB - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trucks a Dog pulling 5000 LB

I pulled a 5000 lb load of snowmachines and trailer this weekend. I wasn't real impressed with my 7.3. It has a stock early 99 with exhaust and intake. No chip.

It was very evident the trailer was back their. Took much longer to get up to speed at my normal throttle position. More than I thought it should take.

Speed limits are 55 here and going up some of the hills I had the pedal to the floor to keep it at 55. Nothing real steep either. 100% throttle up hills and I only saw 15 PSI of boost. Normal EGT's. under 1100*

No boost leaks that I can find under the hood, only oil soaked boots from my CCV.

Is this normal? I know an early 99 can be a dog, but I thought it would do better than this. A Hydra chip is on my list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 PM

It's a 7.3 Slow, but keeps going.

What read diff does it have, auto or manual trans? What RPMs were you running at 55MPH?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:57 PM

Its an auto. I don't quite remember my RPM's. Obviously I had OD off and by the sound I would say I was 2000-2300 RPM. My new isspro trans temp gauge still hasn't ever moved above 100 so Im pretty sure it doesn't work.

I've never had any issues with my trans slipping or anything so I don't think that was any problem. only 85,000 miles.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:02 PM

I've had the same thing happen to me and searched many forums hoping to find something. Only thing I found that I know I hadn't check was fuel restrictions besides the filter. Dropped the tank last weekend to check the screens in the mixing chamber and they were almost plugged up. Haven't pulled a trailer yet to see if there's a difference. It feels likes it drives better but it could just be in my head IDK. If there's no change when I pull a trailer next I'll hook up a fuel pressure gauge to rule it out for sure.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like you got something going on.. I have e99 and it wasn't that bad in stock tune.. I'd start checking the basics.. Do you have torque app?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin-7.3 View Post
I've had the same thing happen to me and searched many forums hoping to find something. Only thing I found that I know I hadn't check was fuel restrictions besides the filter. Dropped the tank last weekend to check the screens in the mixing chamber and they were almost plugged up. Haven't pulled a trailer yet to see if there's a difference. It feels likes it drives better but it could just be in my head IDK. If there's no change when I pull a trailer next I'll hook up a fuel pressure gauge to rule it out for sure.
This was what I was thinking, with a 99 model year truck I'm willing too guess that he has a fuel tank issue. My truck had almost 250K when I noticed that below a 1/4 tank the injectors really started getting louder, sure enough my fuel pick up boot was broken and both filters where almost plugged shut. After dropping the tank and cleaning and replacing the pick up the truck really woke back up, I haven't towed with it yet but I'm waiting too see if the fuel mileage will increase when towing.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanks for your input guys. I went out to change the fuel filter yesterday since I haven't changed it since I've owned the truck. Got it out, and turns a filter my dad has for his 96' 7.3 is different than for mine so I put the old one back in until I can get to anchorage and pick up a few of the correct ones.

Anyway, regarding the tank problems. I've been wanting to do Tank mods since I bought the truck. I hope to take the bed off this summer to sandblast and install a goose neck. That will be the time that I do tank mods instead of taking the tank off the frame.

I do not have torque app or any other reading system besides my ol' school ISSPRO's.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 AM

"I do not have torque app or any other reading system besides my ol' school ISSPRO's. "

Best $30 you spend right there!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbs26 View Post
"I do not have torque app or any other reading system besides my ol' school ISSPRO's. "

Best $30 you spend right there!
I agree.. I use a samsung tab3 w/ torque and gauge pro. Works nice
Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 PM

New suggestions- Check fuel pressure and let us know what you get. Check pressure with key on engine off, idle, and WOT. I installed a fuel pressure gauge and had low pressure. My problem ended up being the fuel pressure regulator was just old and tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.