I've got a transmission problem.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've got a transmission problem..

I'm posting this here instead of under the transmission heading because I need help quick!! I have a 2002 F350 single rear wheel 7.3 ECSB with 145K. I just bought the truck not too long ago. There is a receipt for a new (used) transmission put in at 135K. The problem I'm having is that when I try to reverse up the slightest hill it will have almost no power at all. The truck starts shaking and sometimes it will slowly reverse other times it won't. The engine isnt bogging down at all. The engine is at normal rpms, but it just won't go anywhere. If I put the truck in 4x4 with hubs locked it still wont reverse up a hill. If I put truck in 4x4 Low it will reverse up any hill no problem. I have manual 4x4 lever. The truck has no problem reversing down a hill or on flat ground, no shaking or anything. Only when reversing up the slightest hill will it have a problem. Forgot to mention, it is an Automatic tranny. Any ideas??? - Mike

Last edited by dobronos; 03-19-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

bump !!! i need some help guys!!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Time for a rebuild

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yep. Rebuild time. Clutches are not far from being toast. OP, when you do a rebuild or whatever you decide to do, get yourself a trans cooler for a 6.0l and drop it in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

A shift kit would be a "bandaid" fix that won't cost much.

I had a transmission start slipping bad between shifts and reverse with a pan full of clutch material. I put in a b&m shift kit and drove it another 150,000 km until the torque converter started letting go.

Any kind of transmission mod that raises line pressure will help. Reverse is the first to go due to the higher pressure required.

Every transmission shop is going to tell you a shift kit is hopeless and you have no choice but to rebuild it... and they are the experts.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:01 AM

Check transmission fluid ? If not that sound like you clutch packs are toast.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Talked to a local transmission shop that works on super duties. He said something about the valve body being clogged up and not seating correctly? Said that he thinks that is most likely the problem. He said if the truck has no problem driving in forward gears there is no need for a rebuild. He thinks that he can pull the valve body clean it up replace fluid and there should be a problem. He said that you don't have to pull the trans to clean up the valve body? How hard is it to do? I have next week off and not sure if its something I can do.. Any ideas??
Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

John Wood 4R100 Valve Body - Riffraff Diesel Performance
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobronos View Post
Talked to a local transmission shop that works on super duties. He said something about the valve body being clogged up and not seating correctly? Said that he thinks that is most likely the problem. He said if the truck has no problem driving in forward gears there is no need for a rebuild. He thinks that he can pull the valve body clean it up replace fluid and there should be a problem. He said that you don't have to pull the trans to clean up the valve body? How hard is it to do? I have next week off and not sure if its something I can do.. Any ideas??
Lol. He definitely does not work on SD's much.

Valvebody is very easy to pull. Probably a 2 hr job total by the time you actually start draining the pan until you top it back off.

BTS has a PDF file on their site in order to do this. BTW your clutches are about done. You'll know for sure as soon as you drop the pan when you see about a 1/8-1/4" thick sludge laying on the bottom.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Looks like I can install accumulator valve body myself.. will this fix my problem? is the accumulator valve body the one that controls reverse or is it the main valve body or Lower valve??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.