7.3 engine misses till normal temp in cold weather - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 7.3 engine misses till normal temp in cold weather

My 2002 F350, 7.3 misses when the weather is very cold, below 35 degrees, until it warms completely up. But it only misses in a crusing mode. When I step on it, it straightens out and pulls very well until I let off on the throttle and it starts to flutter again. When the engine is at normal temp it runs very smoothly in all throttle positions. Anyone have this problem and solved it? I hate to take it in to the Ford Garage and have them change every sensor till they fine the right one. I can do that myself if I have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Banned

its probably an injector or two dropping out cold. Without looking at a few readings on a high dollar scan tool though..i cant say for sure...
Old 12-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wink Found the problem, don't know if the fix is all right:

The engine missing or fluttering that I had until the engine was totally warm, I cured today after looking at the truck engine in our near subzero Wisconsin morning. Because of the way the truck acted by running smooth when I was on the throttle made me think it was some sensor cutting fuel delivery, thinking the engine was warm, when it was not. Well I don't think it was that but looking at the turbo I can see a valve assembly under the two sections in the middle. Probably holds back on air until it warms up. I could not see the rear of it but I disconected the connection going in to it to see if that had anything to do with it. I took it out for a drive and like a miracle the engine runs perfect. I think it does take a little longer to warm up than it did, but what a relief to have it run good. Apparently there is something wrong in that valve or what activates it but it must fail/safe in a open mode because the truck has all the power it should. Anyone have any ideas of what I should do now. I don't think this valve is needed because a friend of mine has a F550 with a 7.3 and that valve is not in it. It might just be another gadget to make the truck more comfortable for the folks who buy these big trucks to go to the grocery store. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke Techie

George
That is the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. It is there to aid in cold weather warm up. Most people unhook this or take it completly out. If you are going to unhook it, unplug the wires. If you just unhook the rod you will get an oil leak.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks DJ

Actually thats what I did, I couldn't even get to see the linkage on the back side in the 10 degree weather. It does take longer to heat up, you're right. Heading to Arizona after the first and it will be fine then: Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.