fuel leak and smell - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel leak and smell

have a fuel leak and bad smell mostly in passanger fender well... look further into it and see behind the altenator theres a metal tube that looks like a fuel line that is about 6 inches long but doesnt go anywhere but does come from under exuast manifold on passenger side from engine... looks maybe like a fuel over flow?? im not sure but thats where the fuel is comeing from, it drips pretty good from there but dont see where anything would attach to it.... would think if its a over flow it would run back to tank, no? and why is it doing it? it idles and drives fine but a bit of power loss and small fuel aconomy loss.... so why is it leaking from this tube and wht is this tube?

any help for this forum noob would be great

thx again
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2006, 08:59 PM
PIPE HITTER

Thats the drain line for the fuel bowl. there is a yellow lever on the back of the fuel bowl, where your fuel filter goes, make sure it's closed all the way.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you
Old 12-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to purduefarmboy460
hope we got you all taken care of in the chat room mike, good talkin with ya, visit us often!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You probably have a leak around the o-rings that seal the drain valve to the fuel filter housing. If so its an easy fix to replace the 2 o-rings, it seems that the "new" fuel is the cause of the leak.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ya, i got it figured out... the kit from ford here in canada is 81 bucks!!! basterds!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel leak

It sounds exactly like the problem my son and I fixed this last weekend. A leaky valve that the o-rings were the problem. You can get at it by undoing a couple wiring harnesses to make room for a torx wrench, especially if it's curved like a allen wrench. Very tight space to work in, but possible. The alternative is to remove the canister and remove it from the engine. A previous message noted the size of the o-rings were 1/2 inch OD, 1/4 inch ID and 1/8 thick and made from Vitron. Have fun
Old 12-09-2006, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I suspect you have the same problem that I have. There's a small plastic valve on the side of the fuel bowl that connects to the drain tube you are referring to. When you replace the fuel/water seperator, you are supposed to open that valve and drain any water from the bowl. Over time, the valve and/or O-ring inside of the valve becomes hard, brittle and cracks. This causes it to leak and fuel to drip from the drain tube as you are seeing. In my case, it's almost a constant flow. Ford sells the drain valve kit for around $70. It's held in place with 4 screws. I bought the kit yesterday but plan to disasemble the old one today after I remove it and just replace the O-ring with a new one. I'll return the kit to FoMoCo.

This seems to be a common problem. When I went to the parts counter at the dealer and told him what I needed, he went into his warehouse and came back with the part without even looking it up on the computer. I told him it must be a common problem if he knew what part I needed without looking it up and he said he sells at least one valve kit per day.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

source for O-rings?

Do any of our sponsor vendors carry these O-rings? I'd be ready to buy a set while supporting a sponsor and saving me time 'n aggravation.

just to be sure (because I noticed dripping today, but only while the Excursion was running) The fuel dripping is coming out of a vent hose that's on the right side attached to the front of the frame, a couple inches behind the outermost belt pulley (and lower, of course)
Old 12-09-2006, 12:30 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Is it common for it to leak onto the engine valley?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.