Cold Motor Running Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Cold Motor Running Problem

I'll start off by saying I'm a new member, so this is my first post.

Now to get to the issue at hand. I've had my 7.3 now for a little over a month and I've had this issue pretty much since day one, where there is literally little to no throttle response when the motor is cold. I've done plenty of digging and it seems there is a wide array of "possible" solutions put out with regards to similar issues. I've already disconnected the 2 wire connector that plugs into the turbo pedestal, as well as the EBPS and that has gotten me nowhere. In addition to this problem, it often idles very rough and typically dies 2 or 3 times (mainly if it's really cold outside) before the idle finally smooths out. If I manage to get it to pick up throttle within the first 10 minutes of running I've had it just completely lose throttle and stall out and then idle extremely rough and sporadically for a minute or two upon restart. This has happened maybe two or three times total but each time it has, the SES light comes on but is gone as soon as I start it back up. I've read that the ICP or the IPR could be culprits, so I just unplugged the connector to my ICP a few minutes ago and found a decent amount of oil inside of it which I also read was not a good sign. Does this sound like it could be the issue even though I am not throwing any Engine codes?

Also one other issue I was concerned of was when I tried to hook up my OBD II tester to it to see if perhaps there were any codes stored in the computer like perhaps that been previously deleted, I got a link error with the Engine off test, and then the tester caused the SES light to come on and instantly stall the truck with an Engine Running test, only for it to say link error again (the SES light was again off upon restarting the truck). Aside from these issues the truck seems to have no issues at all once the engine temperature reaches a certain point. There may be some loss in power, however I wouldn't know of any because it has driven the same for the month I have had it. Any input and feedback is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Start by replacing the ICP and see what happens. Could also be CPS related or IPR sticking.

You need auto enginuity to scan the pcm.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 PM

How many miles on the truck? How long since the last oil change?
Old 03-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

262k Miles on truck, previous owner said it had recently been changed and I've now put 2k on it so I'm going to go ahead and change it here within the next couple of days especially now that warmer weather has arrived.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM

I'd be curious to see if the fresh oil solves the problem.

That being said, the ICP sensor absolutely needs to be replaced if there is oil in the connector.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the fresh oil and fuel filter seems to have done the trick, oil also appeared to be quite a bit low and the fuel filter elements were near solid black with a bunch of sediment-like build up in the filter housing. Thanks for the helpful feedback, it's greatly appreciated! Still going to change the ICP but glad to have this problem solved with something so simple.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 AM

With the 7.3 being so oil dependent, fresh oil makes a huge difference on the higher mileage motors. Glad it got you sorted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.