Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Front end knocking

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  choprpilot76 
#1 ·
Recently I have notice some knocking from the front end of my 03 f-350 Lariat. When i got underneath i noticed that the inner tie rod was worn out so i replaced it but there is still a knock, the outer tie rod is still solid but could it still need to be replaced or could it be the sway bars, someone also mention to me that it could be a cab mount that is making that noice, could that be true. thank you for your help

#4 ·
Ok, I have a 2012 F350 Dually and I am having this problem as well. I took it to two dealerships and both say it is coming from the tie rod ends and even one said the sway bar and trac bar linkages. According to the dealer it is normal wear and tear and they said it can start sooner and get worse if you do more heavy towing. I have a 44 foot Toy Hauler Fifth Wheel that I have towed for close to 7,000 miles. First of all which specific component is the most common on this year truck to start showing play? Secondly, rather than buy new expensive factory Ford parts and replace the bad components just to have it happen again eventually, is there another preferred aftermarket brand out there that makes these parts better to swap out with? This knocking is getting worse, louder, and ANNOYING with each passing month. They did assure me however that structurally nothing is in jeopardy and that nothing should break or come loose driving down the interstate. I just want to do this NOW because it's ticking me off. Thanks for any help. This is my first big truck, all I have ever owned before is 1/2 ton gas trucks, and never towed anything big like this, so I'm not used to the problems a larger diesel dually rig like this can cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.