Truck won't turn off. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck won't turn off.

I have a 99 F350 4X4, I'm pretty sure it's a late 99 since the door panel build date is 4/99 and I also have an AIH.
So it rained last night, not hard, but a steady light rain. I had the block heater plugged in all night, temperature was around the 40`s, turned it on this morning and it started like a champ, everything sounded good. Drove around town for maybe 10 minutes, got to where I was going and turned the key to the off position and the engine keeps running. Radio turns off and so does A/C but dash lights stay on and engine keeps idling. It sounds really good, no clanking or clicking or rattling or anything, it purrs like kitty but just won't shut off. I turn turning their key back to the on positing then back to the off position, I try jiggling it and everything but the engine stays on.
I got it to turn off by pulling fuse 24 which is labeled PCM Power. (I have a 2000 owners manual even though my truck is a 99, I'm assuming their the same.) After the engine dies my dash gauges continue to receive power as well as the lights such as the abs, seatbelt and a couple other lights all within the dash.
So to me it sounds like my ignition cylinder is bad or going out at least, I bought the truck used and I have 2 keys, one for the doors and one for the ignition so I think it's already been replaced once.
So I'm just wondering if it is the ignition cylinder or if y'all have other ideas on what it might be? And if anyone else has had this problem? Also is pulling the relay the best way to turn the truck off or will that mess something up?
And I tried turning the truck back on and it starts great, but I have to pull the fuse to get it to turn off again.
Thanks for any and all help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Especially since you mentioned rain, there is a good possibility you have a leak along your windshield seal somewhere that has allowed water into the GEM and has caused all sorts of electrical gremlins. The ignition switch is a possibility too. Disconnect your batteries and unbolt the GEM and look for water under the dash.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM

The GEM is behind the fuse panel correct? And I do get water in the cap, when it rains the carpet will be wet next to the emergency brake and hood release. It usually doesn't rain much here so I had been putting it off till warmer weather, guess that's what I get.
Do you have any recommendations on the best way to turn it off?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 AM

I pulled off the ignition switch and it looked brand new, no corrosion or dust or antying, but I went ahead and got a new one from the parts store just to test and and the problem still happened so we can rule out that.
I then pulled the Fuse box out so I could get the GEM off. There was a little water damage on the label and on the inside of the board it looked pretty good buy had a little white hazyness to it, not sure if maybe it got a little water in it. But I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and then tried plugging it back in and no change.
I also tried moving all the relays from both the inside panel and the one under the hood to see if it was one bad relay but after moving them all the problem was exactly the same.
I could really use any tips for this. If I pulled the GEM could I like take it to the dealer and have them test it?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/spd1qhf5sy9e2s4/5pELpNSAYB This is some pictures of the GEM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

For sure looks like some water got in there. However, once you dried it out, it should be all good. Unless something is fried beyond repair. Electrical gremlins are never fun.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM

Well problem still persists. Any clues on what else could potentially be the problem?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Update. I had parked the truck and disconnected the battery for the past 2 days, but I needed to use it today so I reconnected the battery and used it and it turned off just fine. I turned it on again then tried to turn it off and it worked just fine. Then while it was off and the key was in my pocket all the dash gauges got power and it was like I had turned the key to the on position and the glow plugs were warming up. Lasted for about 15 to 20 seconds and then it went back off again without me touching anything, and it has been behaving nicely the rest of the day so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.