Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

A/c out the defrost.....warm air on vent

736 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Dirtybird62 
#1 ·
I have 2 powerstrokes.(the 350 (2002) is the "good child") My 550 (2003) has the AC blowing thru defrosts. I installed a new door blend acuator with no fix. Other posts say vacuum pump on fender, test lite shows power to connector and vacuum gauge shows no vacuun. Is there any other tests to perform ? Seems too easy to throw new pump on fender and have everything work ? Also, how accurate do ya'll believe the water temp gauges are ?
Thanks much !
Dirtybird:icon_ford:

#2 ·
You probably have a vacuum leak at the hubs. Just pull off the vacuum line going to the hubs and plug it on the pump side. You just have to lock the hubs manually.

I know the water gauges are accurate because mine was reading a little low. I bought the truck last summer and everything was fine. In the fall when the temperature was getting cooler, my truck would barely even touch the bottom of the normal range. I figured the previous owner had removed to thermostat. I bought a 190 degree one at Napa and installed it. There was a thermostat in there and it seemed like it was in good shape. Previous owner did a lot of towing , so probably put in a lower temp one. After I installed the new one, gauge reads well into normal range after warming up

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I probably didn't do enough detail with temp.It runs fine (same as my 02 powerstroke) but lately while towing I'm pushing red as I crest summits.It's never did that before......I also took thread advice and did ohm check and shows vacuum pump bad.Napa wanted $85 so I found one online $48 being delivered to house.
Thanks again Delta 99

#4 ·
I second the vacuum leak. One hose left off and all you will have is defrost vents. I had a Dodge 1500 that had a cracked vacuum hose and every time you wold go up a hill or accelerate the dang ac would shift up to the defrost. Never did find the problem so I sold the truck.

#6 ·
I "half assed" checked for hub leak (it was raining hard) and never found one nor ever heard pump. Also the connector had 12.4 volts and low .3 ohms (which is supposed to be 10 ohms on good pump). The A/C was interminent at the end of last Summer so what ever the culprit I'm glad I'm getting er slowly whooped.
Thanks for your reply also :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.