Cold starting and running issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Commando aggie
Cold starting and running issues

I have been lurking and learning a lot on the forum and have done everything I can think of so far and just wanted to get some of the gurus opinions.

First a little history on the truck and what has been done. The truck is a 2001 crew cab, long bed, 4 wheel drive that is basically bone stock other than a 4" lift.
The truck has 238,000 miles. I inherited the truck from a family member that passed away due to cancer. He had done basically no maintenance on it for about 2 years, so it was a little rough to say the least. Since I got the truck, I have changed oil and all filters, replaced a leaking turbo pedestal o-ring, replaced the GP relay and replaced a starter that went bad. I have ohmed the GPs and all read between 0.9 and 1.2 ohms. I also plugged in a Bluetooth sender and have have torque pro on a tablet. I have also replaced basically everything on the front end since it was all worn out.

The problem I am still having is hard starting and NO power, as in won't go above idle, until it is warm. According to torque pro, HPOP is putting out 2978 psi and the IPR is at 38% at WOT. After it has been up to temp, truck runs fine. My guess is that I need a set of injectors , but wanted to hear thoughts on it before I spend that kind of money. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is your ICP and duty Cycle at cold idle?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Generally yeah. Weak when cold means injectors. If I have to I can fire my truck up and go right away no matter how cold. I absolutely hate doing it though and avoid it at all costs.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I try not to take off immediately after starting, but I don't even have the option as it sits now.

I will look this evening at what the ICP and duty cycle is when idling. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but don't remember them being out of whack with what others have posted on the torque app thread. I did replace the CPS and ICP sensors also.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 PM

Still would help if you gave us a description of what you mean by hard start
Old 02-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck was having the exact same symptoms. I replaced the glow plugs, gpr, and cps and the truck was still having a harder and harder time starting but once it hit temp it ran great. After much frustration, replacing the battery cables was the ticket. The dash gauge was showing that my batteries had the juice(testing the batteries confirmed) and a quick check of the cables threw me off. The insides of my cables were heavily corroded though and only visible once peeled back. They were capable of passing enough power for the gauge but the glow plugs weren't warming up which explains why it was running so bad until it hit temp then would run fine. They were also killing my starter speed making it even harder to start. In my case starting hard led to cracking an injector sleeve so I hope I helped or you can figure it out soon.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You guys, you EBP valve is choking off your exhaust until warming up. Unplug it and see if that makes a difference. Its the one that plugs into your turbo pedestal with the wire keeper

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tip on the cables. I will jumper over to the solinoid with another wire and see if I can get it to start. It was over 70 degrees here the last couple of days and the truck still wouldnt start without being plugged in for a couple of hours.

The HPOP is showing 550 psi at idle, but got a new code and SES light today-P1210. I didnt have time to look under the hood today so maybe tomorrow.

I removed the EBP valve when I replaced the o-ring on the pedestal.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:20 AM

Also, try unplugging the ICP sensor and seeing how it starts
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fan View Post
Also, try unplugging the ICP sensor and seeing how it starts
Op doesn't need to his hpop pressure is 550 at idle, perfect.

Also, since maintenance was neglected for the last two years, then I'd say your indeed due for a set of injectors. Have you done a buzz test yet? 250k is normal. Some trucks less, others more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by hucorey; 02-24-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.