Problems starting! Need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems starting! Need help

I have a 2002 F250 with a 7.3. Today I went to start it up and she was having trouble. I can hear the starter cranking over but the engine won't start. I have to cycle the key at least 12 or more times for it to finally kick over. This is not a constant problem, it has only happened twice. If any one has any suggestions please let me know. I appreciate any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check the glow plug relay
Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If i read it right the truck is turning over just wont start, if thats the case and you are in colder weather you need to read these threads and do the testing outlined in them.

Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...
Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For the best Cold Start results (say under 35F) here's what I would follow;

Forget the WTS light, it's not in any way connected to the GP system.

Over 20F, wait a Full min, with the key On, before you crank.

Under 20F, plug the block heater in for 3hrs (get a timer so it comes on before you leave in the morning) and wait 1-1/2 to 2 mins before you crank.

If you're routinely under 20, and especially if it's in the single digits, you will see a big improvement if you use a 5W-40 Synthetic motor oil (that 15W is pretty thick in those temps)
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The winter here has broken, it was 80f when this started. When is didn't have any issues starting her this winter. I have had the batteries and alternator checked. It's not throwing a code. I'm baffled by this.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Ahhh,,, I see you're in CA! We've been mired in Cold Start issues

BUT, you talked about "cycling the key at least 12 times". Why are you doing that? Not for the WTS light? - right?

So, lets talk more about what's happening. You're cranking the engine over and it's turning the engine at a regular speed, but doesn't run.

How long a time do you crank it for?

How does it run once started?

Have you ever gotten an SES light?

This is "intermittent", most of the time it starts right-up (within 5 seconds cold), and has it done this on a restart (engine hot) or only after sitting overnight?

Tell us more.....
Old 02-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I said cycle I was maening turning it over. It takes about 12 or so tried to finally start. I crank the engine for about 8 to 10 seconds, don't want to stress anything too much. Once it finally starts it runs fine which normally would be a starter but the starter cranks fine. I'm not too sure what an SES light is but I am not getting any codes or check engine light. As far as the hot cold issue it does it both when the engine is warm and when it has sat over night, like I stated earlier it is intermittent so this is giving me fits trying to diagnose it. I'm sorry if my info is vague, I'm new to forums in general and still trying to get the hang of it lol thank you all for being patient and helping me with this!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:18 PM

OK, the SES light is a Check Engine (Ford says "Service Engine Soon") and there's not much that shouldn't set a light with what you're describing. So, first thing is, what are you using to scan the truck with? Because, our trucks cannot be scanned properly with a Generic OBD-II scanner (like the handhelds and Auto Parts Stores have).

I think 8-10 seconds is a reasonable amount to stop at, it should have started by then and, more than that I'd be worried too.

Next time it happens, what I'd want to do is to check for fuel in the fuel bowl. When it's evident it's doing this (say after the 2nd attempt) get a container and maybe a short hose. In fact, do it now to get a base line for what you should see.

Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

Fuel Delivery is one of the few things that won't set a light, and you could have a dieing pump or a cracked pick-up maybe...
Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as code scanners go, I haven't purchased one. The truck is new to me (1 month) and I have not had any codes. I recently changed the fuel filter on the truck so I have a good idea of what should be going on in that area, I will take your advice and check it the next time I have this issue. Thank you for your advice NoRalPh! I will post my findings the next time the issue presents itself
Old 02-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

typical items that will cause hard start:

- too many bad glow plugs
- bad glow plug relay/no power to the glow plugs
- a slightly low oil level
-15w40 dino oil.... 5w40 synthetic makes a world of difference
- oil that has been pushing d beyond it's good life
- injectors are only good for about 200k give or take.

Checking for fuel related issues:
- pull the fuel filter and turn the key to on to check for fuel going into the bowl. The pump will run for a minute after turning the key on
- keep the level above 1/4 tank

These are all of the simple checks to do. We need to have a checklist sticky thread on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.