Valve Cover Gasket = Injector trouble??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 12:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to DieselGod
Valve Cover Gasket = Injector trouble???

Greetings!
I have a 2000 F-350 Lariat Dually 4x4 7.3 with a cold start miss. It only does it for 5-10 minutes at warm up idle in the AM then cleans up and runs perfect all day no matter how many starts and stops I make. It sounds like 1 cylinder and is fairly suttle but obvious. I run Amsoil 15/40 HD diesel marine oil which I found out has the anti foaming properties that Ford requires and is aproved by ford (it was doing it on dino oil too). I was ready to get an injector replaced and a guy told me that the 7.3 valve cover gasket is actually a wiring harness for the injectors as well, and this could be the problem (heat during warm up causes expansion and the bad wire makes contact again). Does this make sense to anyone? I'm a recent Ford conversion from many years of Cummins, so I don't know a ton about the Navistar engines. I thought when a 7.3 injector failed it failed, so I was kinda hoping this guy might be right about the valve cover gasket...thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
It is possible. I would take the covers off and inspect the wires, and the plug, alot of cases the plug can come lose.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

usually when a harness is involved it will throw a check engine light i would pull codes and do a injector buzz test then a cont. test and see what happens with that .
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

So was the problem diagnosed?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to DieselGod
Unhappy It just gets better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne5757 View Post
So was the problem diagnosed?
No, the harness and valve cover gasket tested ok, there are no DTC's. It still has a miss for about 5-10 minutes in warm up in the AM, so I'm thinking it's the actual injector. I'll have to try and find it with the Raytec gun, but I have a bigger problem right now. I lost over drive the day before yesterday and the Dealer and National transmission both came to the conclusion that the "electronic" section of the OD failed and that means yank er out and rip er down...soooo, I'm going to get a rebuilt from BD in Abotsford BC that's all wizzy so I don't have to worry about trans problems again. This tranny only has about 5000 KM (3000 mi.) on it but the shop that did it is no longer in business. However I have to save up a while, the trans and converter are $5100 plus tax and freight...plus 600.00 R&R at a local shop. Going to have to live on Kraft Dinner for a while!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You should start a new thread about tranny options or search some tranny threads. There are some highly recamended trannys avalible in that price range. If you are gonna spend 5Gs make sure you are getting the best for youre money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.