No Crank and no ideas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Crank and no ideas

Yesterday went to start truck after it had been sitting for two days in 70 degree weather. No go after about 45 minutes of checking over things and figuring how I would get home decided to try it and turned cranked on first key turn. Got home and it will not crank since via the key. If I jumper the starter relay it cranks just fine. If I jump the 12v ignition point on the relay it will turn over as well. Voltage on the ignition wire to starter relay is showing 11.0v when key is in start position. Batteries are showing good and were recently replaced with interstate batts and crank fine when I jumper the relay. Neutral position sensor or whatever it is called was replaced when tracking down an electrical issue earlier this year due to a bad alternator.

Will 11v from the ignition switch not be enough to trip the relay, and should I look at the ignition switch or is something else suspect. No fuses are blown. Does not start when ranging through gear selector, and shift selector bolts are tight under dash.

Not sure what to look at next as I thought that was all there was to the starting system.
Help!
2000 7.3l 2wd stock 210000 miles
No alarm system

Last edited by Zen; 02-12-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No check engine light?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 PM

no codes or CEL that I have found All electrics function as normal except this, this was literally one day go to crank it and click nothing.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Charged batteries just in case. Getting full 12v from ignition switch to starter relay. About to go check Transmission switch alignment. Can ignition switch put out 12v to relay and still not trigger a cranking condition due to another problem. Starting to think grounding issue, or ignition key as it is pretty well worn in.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 AM

Ignition SWITCH! pulled it and cleaned the two silver tab contacts off, and blew out the cylinder hole with air. Starts right up now.
So is there a way to order an ignition switch with the same key so I am not carrying around two different keys if I replace it? Anybody

Last edited by Zen; 02-13-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM

Not the key ignition switch. worked for a week and then failed permanently. I need help on this one still as I had to wire a button to keep the truck usable, and don't want to leave it like this. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Start in the middle, at the starter solenoid on top of the pass side wheel well.

If, when you roll the key to the "crank" position, you do not have the 12v in the Small wire then the problem is on the Key/Nssw side.

If you do, can you feel that solenoid "throw? (it should be obvious)

If not, you should replace it.

If so, the problem is in the starter/cables side (assuming the batteries & connections are OK)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:28 AM

I get 12v to the small wire when rolling the key to the crank position and am able to jump the solenoid manually via the small wire position with 12v with my work around switch, so that is why I am so confused. Solenoid is good and I am getting 12v to it. Starter is good as it starts right up via push button. Transmission position sensor is fairly new from Ford and adjusted properly. Gear lever position does not have any effect on starting or not starting in my case.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

getting 12V to solenoid but not through it unless you jump it sounds like a bad solenoid to me.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 AM

so it jumps from the small 12v connection wire which should mean it is a good solenoid and I have replaced it as well as I had one go out on me before. Still think it is bad even if I can manually jump it from the signal input stud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.