Slow Crank, won't start, Batt. good - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slow Crank, won't start, Batt. good

2003 7.3L F250

So my batteries died in early December and I replaced them before heading off on a business trip for two months. It had been cranking slow and I wasn't sure how old the batteries were. After the replacement, it started much faster. I left town for two months and the person I charged with running it once a week failed to do so until around week 6 or 7 and it wouldn't start.

Week 8, I got back and put a charger on each battery. Only with the chargers boosted could I get it to start. I drove it about 60 miles, afraid to turn it off to put fresh diesel in it. At most lights it threatened to stall out. Once I turned it off in front of the house, it would not start again.

Yesterday, I took the batteries and exchanged them for new ones. With these in, it was cranking extremely slow and would not start. Both batteries had a normal output and were charged to 85 and 87%. I put them on a slow charge up to 100% and tried again today.

The starter sounded even worse. The temp is 18 degrees and I gave it ample time for the GPs to warm up. I tried plugging it in previously, but the element won't warm, which is another problem entirely.

I also noticed that one of the positive leads was very hot to the touch after trying to start the engine. This is leading me to believe that there may be a short in the starter.

Does anyone have advice on troubleshooting this issue to make sure it is the starter before I just replace it? I'm away all day at work, so I won't have daylight to really give it a good look until the weekend.

I searched around and couldn't find any problems quite the same as this; but if there is a thread you can reference me to I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

battery cables and connections fall apart on these....
schluzter built his own cables and he had great luck.

also check grounds as welll.

if your still having trouble might be time for a new starter!
The Following User Says Thank You to blue99stroker For This Useful Post:
Will13 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yanked the starter when I got home from work around 8. Tested it and it turns out to be a short. The inside was covered in grit and the brushes were all cracked. The short seems to be a busted solenoid. Wish an autoshop was open to service trucks plowing snow, but no such luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.