injector woes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injector woes

what could be a side affect if a mechanic does not drain oil and fuel out of a cylinder when replacing an injector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could hydrolock and possibly bend pushrod. Did something happen?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes thanks for reply, mechanic changed injector 7 said there was an electrical problem now engine shakes, blows blue gray smoke and locks sometimes when cranking
Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 AM

That dont sound good. And it didnt smoke at all prior? It will take a little bit to work all the air out of the system and might smoke for a little bit on initial startup with the oil you cant get out of the cylinder but should clear up pretty quick.

Did the mechanic not pull the rail plugs or roll it over by hand after he replaced the injector, if he just pulled the injector and put another in and then tried starting it will hydrolock and could cause some damage.

Is the truck still at the mechanic, and was it just a local mechanic or a diesel shop? If still there would probably tell them to stop working before they do more damage and just throw parts at it. Since you know which injector was replaced you could have a cylinder contribution test done with a scanner and if he messed up that cylinder it will probably fail, but thats only if you or the mechanic have the ability to run that test.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Read your other thread, the solenoids on the injectors rarely go bad so an electrical problem was probably the under valve cover harness and not an injector, did he replace the UVCH when he did the injector?

You could ohm test the UVCH from the plug which can help you make sure it is good.
Terminal positions=G G I I C I I G G
G=Glow Plug
I=Injector +
C=Injector -

Ohm Glow plugs between "G" and Battery Negative post. Should be between 0.1 and 2.0 Ohms

Ohm Injectors Between "C" and "I" should be < 5 ohms
https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...ow-plug-system
Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

femaff thanks for all your imput. truck only smoked on start up prior to work only when cold. it started with service engine soon light coming on no smoke,only a little down on power,took it straight to him he put his snap on scanner on it did a diagnosis and he said it read electrical prob. injector 7, i took it home and replaced the valve cover gasket and harness,no change,took it back he said it would be the injector. he replaced it with one from ford. he called and said come over check truck out its smoking missing down on power sometimes locks when turning it over. he said it could be another inj. overloading the clylinder so he replaced all the injectors still no change, same symptoms plus can hear a knock when starting. said he cant find anything wrong says i should drive it till it throws a code or locks up then he can find whats wrong!!!! all he works on is 6.0 &7.3 diesels. he putr a egr delete on one of my 6.0s and has done work on a couple trucks my friends own. i think maybe one of his guys didnt follow procedure replacing # 7 injector the first time but have no proof. he didnt charge labor for the other 7 injectors. thanks for all your help and insight. Ron
Old 02-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Sounds like its time to find a new mechanic. I wouldn't be driving it since he probably will just blame further damage on you for driving it, and to have someone say drive it till it locks up to me would say he expects something major to happen. You need to find someone more knowledgeable than him and figure out whats going on before you go any farther. Might want to post a video of the knock and it running, paying attention to the smoke color. You also could run it inside with the valve covers off which might help you find your knocking noise if its in the top end.

Its best when replacing one injector to just replace them all since usually they arent too far behind one another. And since he got them at ford you paid the same price for your injectors as probably a set of Stage IIs from one of the reputable builders on here.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

get that same mechanic to compression test the cylinders on the passenger side. if #7 comes back as bad, there is no sense continuing.

it depends on their procedure too. if they only did #7 and it took a minute or two to switch that injector out, it could have filled that cylinder to the top. if it was turned over by the starter with that glow plug out, it still could have bent that push rod due to the fluid not finding it's way out fast enough.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femaff View Post
Its best when replacing one injector to just replace them all since usually they arent too far behind one another. And since he got them at ford you paid the same price for your injectors as probably a set of Stage IIs from one of the reputable builders on here.
1st no...for the price just replace broken/issue one
2nd stage what? yea not, I can provide costs but no, just no....
Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post
1st no...for the price just replace broken/issue one
2nd stage what? yea not, I can provide costs but no, just no....
Read his other post, the mechanic ended up replacing all of them, and he said first one was bought through Ford so assume other 7 were as well so he probably has over 2k in this set of injectors going off Tousley prices and that doesn't include if the mechanic added onto the price of the parts.

Also the other reason I said replace them all he didn't seem to have the history of the truck on if they had been replaced before so given its a 7.3 you can assume it probably has some miles on it and if injectors were original probably would need replaced sooner or later. Plus if he was doing them himself thats fine to change one at a time but if your paying someone to do it then you could quickly recoup that added costs if you have to go back in a few months for another one ect..

Last edited by cory99; 02-10-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.