trans "moan" after sonnex & ext trans filter install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans "moan" after sonnax & ext trans filter install

This past weekend i installed a sonnax transmission kit and also installed one of the exterior transmission filter kits from dieselsite.com. While driving the truck afterwards i now notice a low/medium moaning/groaning sound that happens when i slow down. It is noticeable (because the engine isnt as loud at this speed) when i am slowing down at about 15-20 or so mph. It is a low to medium pitched moaning sound. It kind of gets progressively lower as i approach a stop then it goes away when i am stopped. I cant really tell if it is there when i am accelerating because it is hard when i am at a faster speed because all i hear at that point is the engine and exhaust. Is this normal, or could something be wrong?

When i bought the truck the previous owner had a rebuilt factory ford transmission installed, which was about 8-10k ago.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by TBM_F350; 11-28-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just an update. After calling Bob at DieselSite.com we narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. One being that it was infact a fluid restriction---said to check fluid flow and he said ford recommends that it should be about 32 oz in 15 seconds. Second possibility was that one of the braided stainless steel fluid lines was touching the cab at some point---if so he said to strap it down to the frame somehow so it wasnt touching. He said that it could be resonating off of the cab and that was what was producing the moaning/droaning sound i was experiencing.

Well it ended up being the second one. One of the ss lines must have been touching the cab somewhere. When i installed the filter kit i ran the lines above the frame and connected them to the trans lines. Well there must have been just enough flex/bend in one or both of the lines that was touching part of the underside of the cab and produced that sound. I ended up rerouting the ss lines to the underside of the frame and tucked up out of the way along the transfer case crossmember/skid plate. I secured them to the frame real good so there is no chance that they could come in contact with the cab again.

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.