horrible mpg's and weak acceleration. help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
horrible mpg's and weak acceleration. help!

Ok I just bought 2002 f350 srw extended cab shortbed 7.3 6spd with 140k on it all stock. Truck is in excellent condition. I'm getting horrible mileage like 10 mpg. And the acceleration is pretty weak too all the way through the rpm range. Compared to my 2000 f350 srw reg cab long bed 7.3 6spd with 85k on it. And it get around 20mpg all stock. My 2002 accelerates like I'm always pulling a load. And it seems like it takes the turbo longer to kick in and when it does spool up it sounds like its blowin off air all the way through the rpm range. And it still seems alil weak even at higher rpm. Un like my 2000. It will respond immediatley with no hesitation. What do yall think it could be??. Im kinda thinking turbo rebuild.?. thank ahead of time for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Sounds to me like boost leaks and up pipes.
john galt likes this.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What do suggest I do lol? I m pretty mechaical inclined more into offroading and rock crawling. I don't have a lot of knowledge on diesel engines turbos etc..
Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Or stuck Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV).
Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If its your up pipes you will have soot around the leak and should be pretty noticeable if you run your hand around the collector and manifolds should be easily seen if leaking.

Do you have any gauges to monitor anything like boost?

Does it have the jet sound to it when idling, your ebpv might be sticking closed, you could unhook the electrical connector from the bottom of the turbo pedestal and that should stay open then just make sure you can move the actuator rod and open or close the valve.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Try unplugging the waste gate solenoid. The two wire plug on the intake pipes with the red and green lines going to it. Take it for a ride see how it acts. Also you EBP could be stopped up causing low power. EBP=exhaust back pressure sensor. 3 wire plug down by the water pump. Remove sensor and start the truck to see if you're getting flow and see how clean the sensor is. Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Ok lets start with boost leaks.... You can "leak" boost from any air connection after you turbo compressor wheel. This includes the compressor housing oring, intake spider band clamp, any of the four intercooler boots, the bootsthat connect the intake spider to the heads, or less likely the intercooler itself. You can find how to do a boost leak test with a simple search of this site. Now for up pipe leaks.... There is a "up pipe" connected to each of your exhaust manifolds. These pipes route exhaust to the turbo charger. From the factory the connection at the top of these pipes was sealed with donut gaskets to allow for thermal expansion. These donuts are noted for failing and causing pre turbo exhaust leaks which kills power and economy. The best way I have found to check the up pipes is to actually start the engine and actually stick my hand behind the turbo and feel for leaks at the top of these pipes. Most people upgrade to bellowed up pipes to resolve the issue. Once again a simple search will yield a plethora of information on the subject.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM

Dang there were a lot of replies in the time it took me to type all that!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well took it to a diesel proformance shop and it is the up pipes. Guy said it would cost me $720.with a new set of bellowed up pipes collecter and all install hardware installed. Sound like an ok price?. And thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 PM

I will do your up pipes for $720!!! I will even buy you a tube of ky to go with that. I just can't see paying that even with the IH up pipes but that could be the going rate... I don't know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.