Turbo boost problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 10:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo boost problems

Hi all, my late 99 F350 has 200, 000 on od. Previous owner had an exhaust break system on this truck. It is connected to another canister with the words exhaust break on it that sits exactly where the original vacuum pump used to sit. This canister is in addition to the main one you would expect which connects to turbo. Well, that second can I pressume acts as a pump which is also feeding the vacuum reservoir. That canister/pump is buzzing almost constantly as if it has a leak. But I also notice my truck has less power than the one my father owns which is bone stock. Somedays, when its cold out it boosts to 20, somedays it has a hard time doing that even. Initial pick up and acceleration is very weak. Could this exhaust break system be faulty? Since the pump it is connected to is buzzing? Are you supposed to hear or feel any difference on a well functioning exhaust break equiped truck vs a stock truck? I don't feel anything different than my dads truck, except for lack of low end power. And could this be affecting the turbo boost? It feels as if im towing a heavy load. Truck just doesnt want to accelerate. I looked for leaks in hoses going to the hubs, none. My mechanic who hasnt seen the truck, yet says this sounds like the exhaust break not opening completely to let full pressure reach turbo/engine. That's all I understood over the phone. I want to go back to stock as far as the exhaust break/vacuum pump is concerned. I also bought up pipes from riffraff. Im suspecting some leak in the up pipes as well. Then I decided while im at it I will order the wicked wheel 2 compressor wheel plus a 4" diamond eye exhaust system. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me ill be forever grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would do a ebpv delete and non ebpv pedestal as well.

unless you live were it is really cold, you wont need the valve for anything other than restriction.

what condition are your intercooler/manifold boots in?

if they are really oil soaked and old, riffraff sells a good boot kit as well.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
i would do a ebpv delete and non ebpv pedestal as well.

unless you live were it is really cold, you wont need the valve for anything other than restriction.

what condition are your intercooler/manifold boots in?

if they are really oil soaked and old, riffraff sells a good boot kit as well.
Well, all the boots are coated in old caked up oil. Im dropping her off at the shop. Hey thanks.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:22 PM

anytime!

i see your from cali too, riffraffs from oregon so stuff gets here quick!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM

This winter our temps dropped to 25 degrees which is unusually cold for this area, but rose up to low 30s for the most part of winter. Is this a commonly reported failure on these trucks?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 PM

the ebpv piston gets worn out like everything else.
plus sensors go bad, so its just what happens over time.

you could rebuild the actuator and get a new sensor and it would probably be fine too

its not a real exhaust break, it just helps warm the engine up. and sometimes they go haywire like this.

it should not be used as an exhaust break, php explains why on their website.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 PM

Today I spoke to the mechanic again and although he hasn't done work on it yet he said the exhaust break is connected to turbo. I wanted taken back to way it was as stock... take away the exhaust break. Now, what part of the turbo does an exhaust break connect to? Because I need to replace those parts. Im real confused. Is it the housing? Do I need a new turbo?
Part 2 of my endless questions....does a wicked wheel 2 compressor wheel fit on a gtp-38r ball bearing turbo. I have the wheel but if I need to replace the turbo I was thinking of upgrading to the gtp38r. Lol, u can see how ignorant I am with these engines..
Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 AM

do you have an aftermarket exhaust brake?
or is it the stock ebpv valve.

and no you have to get the wheel specifically for the 38r the ww2 from a stock turbo wont work
Old 02-15-2014, 05:33 AM

So I finally got around getting to know the problem. Had my shop lift the cab to see all the issues in the 99.5 f350 7.3....lots of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo boost problems-20140210_111429.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 AM

Both head gaskets leaking, turbo o-rings leaking, exhaust break issues, manual transmission cooler leaking, ebpv issues, injector sleeves and orings needed replacing. lets just say im happy we lifted the cab. Tons of photos for anyone to see. We take pics as the work moves forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo boost problems-20140212_180813.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.