Engine won't crank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine won't crank

I just bought this truck, and it hasn't been over 35 the first morning since I got it. It seems like everytime that I've been somewhere where I couldn't plug in the block heater, it's been a pain in the rear to start. I couldn't plug it in last night and I went out to start it this morning (approx -5F) and it wouldn't crank over so I just figured the batteries were dead. I plugged in the block heater and put a battery charger on it. And charged both batteries individually. It's reading high on the battery gauge in the truck. But when I go to crank it. It'll just barely crank one time. The starter won't start clicking though. But once I unplug the battery charger. The gauge in the truck goes down to just a little above the bottom red mark. Can someone give me some insight? I figured with a battery charger on it (or jumper cables, I've tried both) it would atleast
Crank, or the starter would atleast click? Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Have the batteries load tested individually using a carbon pile load tester capable of at least 300 amps. If both batteries test good after charging, you could be loosing the starter.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Starters on 7.3's don't have very large brushes which doesn't give them a long life. Sounds like a starter to me. If you jump it with another vehicle will it start then? Also check you positive cable from the battery to the starter for corrosion. Weakens the amps quite a bit if corroded.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would think maybe a combination of batteries and possibly starter.

When you say without the charger the batteries only register just above the red mark, is this while sitting or cranking. I believe it needs 10.5 volts while cranking or the PCM/IDM will not tell the injectors to fire.

I would start with batteries by having them load tested and as mentioned earlier it is key to do them individually.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Whenever you try to jump it, you still can't get it to start. I'm gonna try to check for corrosion here in a minute. But I'm not sure how long that'll last with temperatures here around 0
Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Reman starter is around $100. If you've never put one on it I'd highly recommend it. Mine went out before i thought my camper was straight in campsite went to restart and nada.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 PM

I'm really starting to think the starter may be the problem. I just went back out, and the block heater had been plugged in for about 5 hours. I unhooked it and hooked that charger back up. I put the negative clamp on one battery, and the positive clamp on the other battery. I got in it after a minute, and the battery meter read high. And the headlights and everything were bright as always. It cranked over about 3 times and almost started. Then it started cranking really slow again. Then it never w
Old 01-28-2014, 07:22 PM

Would turn over another full time. And never would again the whole time I was out there. As of right now it has a napa 75 880cca, and a duralast that's like 700 cca. But I'm gonna try to see if I can get two batteries I have replaced by napa tomorrow to put in it.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM

Engine won't crank-imageuploadedbyag-free1390971756.125674.jpg here's what the gauge was showing and it still just barely cranked over

Old 01-29-2014, 03:58 AM
Premium Member

Did you have the batteries load tested sounds like one may have a bad cell also since you say it turns over good a couple times then slows down. Also check to make sure your ground wires are good and tight on the front of the block by the harmonic balancer. Poor ground will cause a weak start.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.