02 F350 Random Minor Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 F350 Random Minor Problems

Hey all -
1st post! Just got an '02 F350 7.3,PSD,SRW,CC,SB,lariat auto w/110k and I love it. Absolutely love the grumble/idle and crazy acceleration when the turbo spins up! I'm amazed at how fast this giant hunk of metal can move in such a short distance! Ok, moving on - I have a few small, random questions/issues - thought it best to put them all in one post. Sorry if that's bad forum etiquite:

- factory heated seats don't heat? Buttons on the sides of the seats (both pass and driver) click on/off, button LED's illuminate, but no heat. I checked the fuse - it's fine. Even swapped it w/ another 30A just to be sure - but nothing. Pulled the heated seat control module under the seats, and the circuit boards looks fine - no burn marks or other indications of a short... any thoughts/advice? local dealer said the heating pads might be bad - but both at the same time makes me think it's something else?

- rear door locks don't unlock when the key is turned off? All locks automatically lock fine when placed in drive after moving about 10ft, but when placed in park and the key is turned off, I have to manually hit the door unlock button for folks in the back to get out. Is this normal behavior for the truck? Most of my friends think I'm trying to mess with them by leaving them locked in the back after I get out! (I verified that the child locks are NOT enabled when this happens)

- light blue smoking on a cold start/cold day (meaning below freezing) but goes away after the truck warms up. I assume from reading other posts in the forum that this is *normal* behavior and it will probably stop if I plug the block in at night... how long should the block be heated for prior to starting? I'm thinking I can put it on a timer so it's not using power all night long... if possible. Is this recommended?

- valves (or lifters or something) are loud! until the turbo spins up or the engine gets nice and warm. Now, this might be my PSD naivity here - is this normal for the 7.3L? This is my 1st diesel in general and I know they are louder than gassers... are my ears just not trained or is it abnormal for the valves / lifters / whatever to sound like a herd of sheep tap dancing with metal shoes when I'm on the throttle (but before the turbo engages)?

-black smoke puff: when I really stomp it to the floor - my friend who has a duramax tells me this is normal diesel behavior and I shouldn't be worried. Just wanted to run it by the experts - is this normal?

-slight clunking from driver's front wheel when turning a sharp, sharp left - should I do a 12/6 o'clock tug on this to determine if it's bad ball joints or wheel bearing? - speaking of - how can you tell the difference? do bad wheel bearings emit a different sound or exhibit different wheel play than bad ball joints?

I've learned so much about this truck/engine already from surfing these boards. Everyone's help/time is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2006, 05:19 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Ok....I'm not an "expert" but I'll toss in a little help...

Seats - I think the dealer is right. Unless your hoping the seats will get warm immediately. On older vehicle with heated seats, it takes a while for them to warm up.

Door Locks - Your actuators are going out. It's normal on older PSDs. Mine will not unlock on the passenger side when I use the keyless entry most of the time.

Light Blue Smoke - Normal on cold starts. You can either plug the block heater in all night or about 3 hrs before starting.

valve noise - Pretty normal for all vehicles when they have been sitting for a while and it's cold. The oil isn't up to temp yet and is a little thick due to cold. For preventive maintainance, change your oil and make sure you have the correct levels. (Check level in HPOP too)

BLACK smoke - Perfectly normal. It's great when you smoke out a ricer isn't it?

Wheel Clunk - I have NO IDEA!!! Do you have larger than stock tires? If you do maybe your tire is contacting the inner fender well or suspension components.

Hope that helps some.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

lamintdog

lamintdog, First off I want to say WELCOME to the forum. I can't help you a lot, but I am sure someone will be here soon that can. Again, Welcome
Old 11-24-2006, 06:16 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
First, welcome to the forum!!! Now lets see, the clunking from the tires at full turn. I question this too. We just pulled my tranny while ago to do work in the morning, and since it was on the lift, and mine does what yours is doing, we checked and cant get any play, so weve ruled out ball joints. We did find that one of my hubs wouldnt unlock without help, but I cant say that has anything to do with it since theres no tranny in it right now for road test. The knocking should sound rhythmic at speed while under load, and you may hear a louder knocking just behind the steering wheel or behind the frony tire. Famed Ford cackle. I got it and all I do to help it is run an additve in the fuel. It is a result of the fuel system and delivery design to the best of my knowledge. I cant help with the seats. I dont have my locks programmed to lock auto so I cant help there either. Congrats on your purchase, and again, WELCOME!! (I drive an 02 also. Dont think I mentioned that.)
Old 11-24-2006, 06:32 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg

First off welcome, congradulations on owning one of the best trucks out there. Ok now to your questions.

1st heated seats, turn them on see if they warm up at all if any, if not most likely if they are getting power and all other components are working properly then the heating element in both seats is warn out. I don't know who the previous owners were or if they just liked hot seats but it is possible both elements are bad.

2nd Plugging in the truck, I recommend you do this especially if your from VT. Those freezing cold mornings can wreck havoc on your glow plugs and glow plug controller. As for how long to plug in before you start up I would say any where 3 to 4 hours prior to starting is good. I plug mine in all night long here in Mi but then again with my job I may have to leave in the middle of the night.

3rd Blue smoke at start up. This could be normal during the cold winter months. Or the cold spring/fall mornings. Mine does it when the temp is around 40 degrees or less.

4th Black Smoke, to me blacksmoke is good smoke, but to answer your question this is typical and normal for a diesel.

5th Engine noise, The noise you are hearing is from lifters, the engine is cold the oil is thick, if you are bothered by this alot, then you can change your oil to a lighter wieght, as in if you are running 15w40 you may want to drop down to a 10w30 in the winter. But I run 15w40 all year long. Usually this noise disappears in a couple of minutes after start up when the engine warms up a bit and the oil thins out a tad.

6th As for the noise you are hearing when you turn, it could be ball joints, could be wheelbearings, could be tires rubbing your inner fenderwells. Only one way to find out inspection time, you obviously know how to check for ball joints and wheelbearings, I am guessing you know how to check tire clearance then, incase you don't have some one get in the truck and turn the wheels while you check the clearance of the tires.

FYI I would check the center support bearing on the drive shaft. Mine went out at 120,000 miles.

Any other questions that maybe answered or that you may have please ask.
Again welcome to the site you may stay as long as you like. But you have to supply the night crew with coffee and doughnuts.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WOW. I logged in today to check and see if anyone read my post, let alone replied back. I got 4 replies in 12hrs with a great reception taboot - that is just killer. I'm so glad I found this site.

Ok -

Ditty: I'll check w/ the dealer on heating pads. I'm also going to scour electrical diagrams and wires just to verify I didn't miss anything under the seats. Both at the same time just seems fishy to me. I'll check actuators on the doorlocks - I had thought the problem to be electrical b/c the ignition key shutoff wasn't popping them - but the interior unlock button and keyless fob both do. Thx for the plug in timing on the block heater - that'll save a few extra bucks in power...for more diesel!

bigcountrysg: On the seats - I've cycled each seat 5x in a row with other people for their opinions - everyone concludes the same: no heat at all - although by the time the 5th test in a row rolls around, the seat is warmer from body heat and it gets comical. Again, I'll check all wiring/connections before having to concede to the dealership. VT gets chilly for sure - just like MI no doubt... although this week it's gonna be around 50 degrees - and still not a flake of snow in sight? The 3-4hr block plugin sounds like the sweet spot -thx for the tip. I'll try lighter oil on the next change to quiet the lifters down some and thanks too re: center support bearing - not sure exactly where that is, but I'm sure I'll find it! I don't think the wheel clunking is tire clearance - it's totally stock everything - but I'll check just to be 110% sure. I'll jack it up, give it a tug and see if there's wheel movement into/away from the engine.

WD40 / Sea71: guys thanks for the warm welcome.

Again, for someone like myself who's new to diesel in general and specifically new to the PSD, with not a ton of local resources available, this forum is a LIFE SAVER. Thank you!

ps: this is the best I can do without mailing addresses

Old 11-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke.org! I see you've already met some of the other great members we've got here.
Enjoy the site!
Old 11-25-2006, 07:14 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

that clunking noise you hear could also be one or both of the 4x4 hubs stuck
and locked in when turning you will feel and hear noise
Old 11-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

re: center support bearing - not sure exactly where that is

You said you were not sure you know what this is. It is the bearing in the center of your two piece drive shaft.
By the way, we have a policy here that there are no dumb questions.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:23 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg

I'm sorry Lamintdog, I should have gave you a little detail on that. It is on the driveshaft also known as a carrier bearing. Your drive shaft may have one or it may not. But being you have the same truck design I have Short Box, Crew Cab, 7.3 Litre. You have one it is located about 1 1/2ft to 2 ft down the driveshaft from the tail of the transfer case. It is sealed and can not be greased. If you start having vibrations from the drive line or a humming noise from the rearend of the truck check this bearing along with everything else. Mine kinda exploded on me while driving down the road. Lets say you will know when it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.