'00 7.3L Exhaust Leak/Poor Fuel Mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question '00 7.3L Exhaust Leak/Poor Fuel Mileage

I'm new to the list. I have a 2000 crew cab 7.3L truck with AT and 150K miles. I've owned it 3 years but with little use. I call it the White Elephant as I paid too much for it and have never stopped fixing it (the guy who sold it to me got righteous when I reported the huge number of problems). Anyway since I've owned it it's had an exhaust leak and I always get sick/sleepy when driving it on long trips. It's got the ticking sound when loading the engine up mentioned by other posters. After driving it from MT to Atlantic Canada last year and getting gassed out with CO I took it to the local dealer. The truck got 15-17 mpg on the trip. The dealer could find no sooty places on the exhaust but changed the EGR valve saying this was the problem. Just took the truck to Maine. Got gassed out again and the Elephant got 11.5 mpg driving at 55 mph!! It's going back to the dealer next week - suggestions? Could a wastegate be source of exhaust leak? Could the "new" EGR valve be stuck open for bad economy? Where else do these rigs leak exhaust? Help! My wife has had it with my pouring money into this mule. Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most of the time they Leak at the up pipe gasket.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

'00 7.3 Exhaust Leak

Thanks, I'll check into that at the shop. I imagine the "ticking" sound comes from there too.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There is no EGR valve on a 7.3L!
That is a 6.0L thing!

I would ask them to show you exactly where this part is that they replaced.

As stated above, uppipes can leak sometimes. What do you mean gassed out? You mean you can smell exhaust? Diesels don't emit CO2 I thought.

Don't get too frustrated with it, there are a lot of techs on this site that will chime in here to give you a hand. They are very knowledgable and willing to help you fix it youself, if you follow their suggestions. Keep checking back, and stay with it. You've got a great motor there, it just needs a little help.

Good Luck
Old 10-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No such thing as a EGR on a 7.3L, so I would go back to the dealer and find out whats up with that garbage.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:12 PM

My buddy is having this same problem on his truck. A very noticeable ticking when you accelerate, it's definitely an exhaust leak, we just have to find where. I read a lot of guys say it's most often the up pipes.
Any way to find exactly where it's coming from?
Old 07-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

October 10th. I wonder if that is a record for resurrecting and dead and buried post? Coincidentally, I can hear an exhaust leak in engine bay toward the back of the engine. I highly suspect the up pipes but my wife spends all of my money, don't know when I will get those replaced. I'm sure it will make a difference just like the 6637mod did. Good luck.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.