Mixed AD & AE Injectors?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mixed AD & AE Injectors??

Hi all,

I have a 2002 F-350 4x4 SRW 7.3 PSD w/246,000 miles and no chip or programmer. I have the Auto Enginuity PC scan tool. I thought my problem was the harness under the valve covers. Well today when I pulled my drivers side valve cover I found that 3 of the injectors are AD and one is AE. Why would someone do this? Did someone try and swap a injector to see if it would fix the problem and it didn't?

When I do the cylinder contribution test I get codes P0272 & P0284. When I do the buzz test I get P1271, P1272, P1277, P1275 & some injectors sound loud and some are not. If I do need to buy new injectors will my old ones that are a mix of AE and AD work for the core charge?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
This was done by the Factory.

I will guess and say the AE injector was in the 4th cylinder on the driverside. That cylinder in the firing order is number 8. With the new 7.3L's as in the 2002 the injector in the number 8 cylinder is an AE coded injector. It is suppose to help prevent injector cackle. Which also happens to be the injector that wears out first as I am told. Some believe it is because it is the last one to get oil. Some believe it is from being the last to get fuel.

I just had to replace this exact injector. I replaced it with an AD coded injector.
y truck runs a lot better now.

Now if you need to replace all injectors yes you can use the ae injector for your core. As most places realize that with the 7.3L there is one injector that is coded differently.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you, I was really worried someone had been in the motor and screwed things up. I have been trying to read all I can about the PSD, but I didn't read that the #8 injector was a AE. I would like to DIY my injectors, but should I keep the 1 AE & 7 AD and rebuild them or buy 1 new AD and rebuild the other 7 AD?

So now that I have replaced the drivers side UVC harness and I still have the P1271-P1278 "cylinder #X high to low side open" codes that the IDM failed and needs to be replaced?

Also, I have replaced the CPS with a new one from Ford.

Last edited by 89mercury; 10-02-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89mercury View Post
Thank you, I was really worried someone had been in the motor and screwed things up. I have been trying to read all I can about the PSD, but I didn't read that the #8 injector was a AE. I would like to DIY my injectors, but should I keep the 1 AE & 7 AD and rebuild them or buy 1 new AD and rebuild the other 7 AD?

So now that I have replaced the drivers side UVC harness and I still have the P1271-P1278 "cylinder #X high to low side open" codes that the IDM failed and needs to be replaced?

Also, I have replaced the CPS with a new one from Ford.
As for if your IDM is bad I am unsure of. I am sure a tech will be on here soon enough to provide you with that answer. As there maybe other tests that can be done to actually show if the idm is bad.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just fyi the tecks are going to want to know what the origanal problem is. So post all info you have so they can help you.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The problem is the SES light will go on, but sometimes the light goes out. I just bought the truck at auction and when I looked at it the light was off, but when I won it and started driving home the SES light came on. It does look like some items were removed / wires cut, so I'm going to look under the dash and see if I see something wrong. I thought I got a good deal untill that dam SES light came on.

2002 Ford F350 4x4 SEW 7.3PSD, auto, 246,000 miles, STOCK as far as I know.

I get the following codes:

Enhanced Powertrain
P0603 Internal Control Modula Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
P1316 Injector Driver Module Codes Detected

KOER Cylinder Contribution
P0272 Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault
P0284 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault

Buzz Test (during buzz test the #4 injector is very quiet compaired to the others)
P1271 Cylinder #1 High to Low Side Open
P1272 Cylinder #2 High to Low Side Open
P1277 Cylinder #7 High to Low Side Open
P1275 Cylinder #5 High to Low Side Open

Right now I want to get the SES light off so I can do some of the mods I've been reading about.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Cynic

The AE was for fuel reasons. The number 8 cylinder fires right behind number 6. Since the stock fuel system is a "dead head" design, there is less fuel available when number 8 fires. The AE injector compensates for this.

If you have good compression, it's time to replace all 8 injectors with AD's.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you can lay the truck up pull all eight injectors and send them off to have torn down, inspected and flow tested. AD's are known for being out of spec and with that many miles will need some work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.