HPOP or IPR problem -- internal leak? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP or IPR problem -- internal leak?

The other day my 99 F250 wouldn't start. After poking around a bit, I opened up the HPOP reservoir and discovered it was bone dry. I filled it up (and made sure the engine oil level was right), and it started up after a few seconds. I ran it for a couple of minutes and everything seemed ok.

A few days later, I tried to fire it up again and there was clearly no fuel getting into the injectors. So, in a few days the HPOP reservoir dried up again.

There is no oil on the driveway and no leaks i can see. so i assume the system is leaking the oil internally. I have done some research on this (mostly on this site!) and i keep seeing HPOP and IPR coming up. I am not a very experienced auto fixup guy but i am really trying to learn how to care for this baby.

also since the engine seems to sustain itself once i fill up HPOP reservoir i have figured its not the low pressure oil pump...?

Appreciate any tips or help.

Last edited by FordToughness; 09-27-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 08:18 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

well if the reservoir is dry , then base oil pump isnt keeping it fed correctly is the most common, oil needs to be in good shape and full first , how many miles are on this truck , if its high , there are several things it could be

1 -- the base engine oil pump is worn and losing prime

2 -- the oil pick up tube is cracked or o-ring on tube is split causing to suck air

3-- the bypass plug in the oil filter adaptor has fallen out and causing pressure loss

need to check these things first
Old 09-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck has just over 100k, and does not leak visibly, and it doesnt burn noticeable amounts of oil. no blow by as tested thru oil fill.

the leaking seems to be happening when the truck is sitting there cold, that's why i didnt think it was the low pressure pump. but then again, i am really new to all this.

thanks!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

another thing...?

Another thing I thought of-- originally didnt occur to me that this could be part of the problem..

i run biodiesel & waste vegetable oil in the truck. the WVO is heated using a Golden Fuel Systems two tank system. The setup is a bit strange because the lines come together BEFORE the fuel pump, and from there the two fuel systems share the same fuel lines.

This means that the WVO actually goes thru the stock ford fuel filter. THis (in my opinion) is a design flaw in golden fuel systems design.

But i seem to recall somebody saying that my problem can be caused when some sensor downstream from the fuel filter gets clogged up -- some kind of pressure sensor or something. It's possible that some WVO dried up down there and has things clogged up a bit.

The WVO i use is extremely well filtered and dewatered.

I think Greasecar has some parts that will allow me to keep the WVO out of the stock filter. I"m going to get these parts as soon as i can.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the base oil pump the lpop? My truck runs great but sometimes it has an excessive crank time to start like a good 4 seconds. Also my friends pstroke is showing no oil and he has replaced the lpop already and the ford dealership cannot figure it out.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I meant to say no oil in the hpop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.