Truck is always dead every night? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ynpmoose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck is always dead every night?

Starting not that while ago my truck has started to lose battery power. I try to start the truck and turn the key and either the truck is completely dead or just barely a little life comes out and the lights turn on the dash a little bit and if I turn the key then it's just draining it more.

I have to always put the battery charger on it for a good few hours before I can even run the truck. Then it runs fine with no issues but come about 24 hours later the truck is dead again and I have to always put the charger on it.

What I don't understand to is that both batteries are brand new and aren't even a year old yet. I checked to see if a light is on in the truck or something overnight and I can't find anything.

I'm thinking I either got sold faulty batteries or is there something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is your voltage while running?
What is your voltage after the truck is shut off for 5-10 minutes?
What is your voltage after sitting overnight?

I'd first get the batteries tested to be sure they're OK. It's free at most auto parts stores and easy enough. Just make sure they test separately, even take them out of the truck if you can.

If they test OK, you could have some parasitic draw that is draining the batteries while the truck is off. There are some tips in other posts here and youtube videos to help you track it down.

It could also be that the alternator is not fully recharging. You could get your alt checked as well. I did see a video once where the diodes in the alt went bad and caused a parasitic draw and poor charging, not a good combination.
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpmoose View Post
What is your voltage while running?
What is your voltage after the truck is shut off for 5-10 minutes?
What is your voltage after sitting overnight?

I'd first get the batteries tested to be sure they're OK. It's free at most auto parts stores and easy enough. Just make sure they test separately, even take them out of the truck if you can.

If they test OK, you could have some parasitic draw that is draining the batteries while the truck is off. There are some tips in other posts here and youtube videos to help you track it down.

It could also be that the alternator is not fully recharging. You could get your alt checked as well. I did see a video once where the diodes in the alt went bad and caused a parasitic draw and poor charging, not a good combination.
I'm not sure of the voltage how would I check?

Also if it matters I don't run the truck that long. I just start it up everyday and then let it run for 10-15 min being as its cold out. But I don't drive it and havent done so in a while being as I need brakes and tires.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You'll need a DC voltmeter. Check batteries first wqith key off... should be over 12.5V. When you turn key on, it may drop to 11.3 or so until glow plugs turn off, then within 15 seconds return to low 12s (12.3, 12.4) Now start it (if it will cooperate) and voltage should soon level off in 14.4/5 range. If so ,everything's good, if not, time to troubleshoot.
Look for bad connections at battery and alternator. Check for belt slip. Do you have volt gauge on instrument panel? Don't know if our charging systems are set up this way but, if charge indicator light is burned out, it could prevent alternator from "activating". If you only have the warning light, make certain it comes on for few seconds when you turn key.
After you get this resolved, please don't start your truck everyday just to hear it run.
It's hard on starter and just wasting fuel and probably uses more battery than what gets restored. Just leave it on trickle charger till you need it.
Just my oh, so humble opinion... lol
Let us know your progress. Lots of experienced folks in here.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEMUP View Post
You'll need a DC voltmeter. Check batteries first wqith key off... should be over 12.5V. When you turn key on, it may drop to 11.3 or so until glow plugs turn off, then within 15 seconds return to low 12s (12.3, 12.4) Now start it (if it will cooperate) and voltage should soon level off in 14.4/5 range. If so ,everything's good, if not, time to troubleshoot.
Look for bad connections at battery and alternator. Check for belt slip. Do you have volt gauge on instrument panel? Don't know if our charging systems are set up this way but, if charge indicator light is burned out, it could prevent alternator from "activating". If you only have the warning light, make certain it comes on for few seconds when you turn key.
After you get this resolved, please don't start your truck everyday just to hear it run.
It's hard on starter and just wasting fuel and probably uses more battery than what gets restored. Just leave it on trickle charger till you need it.
Just my oh, so humble opinion... lol
Let us know your progress. Lots of experienced folks in here.
I'll have to see if I can get one, i'm sure Autozone will let me borrow one as they have free tool rentals. I have the dual alt. setup so i'll check it, is there anything specific to look for? No I don't have any gauges as it's all stock (won't be for long ), I never really forcused looking at all the lights when I turn the key so next time I start up the truck I'll take a pic of the dash so you can see yourself. I usually put the key in turn it (not started) wait 5-10 seconds when the beeping stops and some lights go out then I start it. Also it's been really cold here lately where it never has been like this in like forever and I can deff. hear it taking a toll on the truck as it has a nasty cold start going into high idle and such.

Well I just put in a new starter a few months ago after like the 11 years I had her lol. An I don't start it everyday to here it run just making sure it starts incase I need it that day.

An just one more thing I forgot to mention my charger has a 10A setting and 2A setting I always use 10 for a fast charge and leave it on overnight so could I have possibly overcharged the battery to where it losses the charge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.