Bad fuel economy.....revisited. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad fuel economy.....revisited.

Ok,

I know I have started a couple threads on the issue. Here, and here, actually. I took in to a tranny shop to get it scanned. There were 3 trouble codes. According to Guzzle..

1)P0470- Exhaust backpressure sensor circuit failure.
2)P0603- Internal Control Module KAM Error
3)P1211- ICP Not Ctrllable - Pressure Above/Desired

The tech told me that my exhaust backpressure was 24 psi at idle. We didnt get to push WOT for too long, but the short burst pushed it up to 44 psi. My torque converter seems to be locking up fine, although I'm not convinced it isn't partially to blame. I do admit it should be minimal on long trips with it locked up. He told me I probably have a clogged cat. Only problem is, I dont have one. It was removed when I installed the turbo-back MBRP exhaust. The EBP sounds high, can my tuner cause these codes to be thrown in the first place? What should I do next? Tires are at 65/85, fresh oil, re-oiled air filter, Amsoil diesel additive, fuel filter has <6000 miles....And no its not my right foot! I can drive like a grandma, and there is no change in mileage.

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Ok,

I know I have started a couple threads on the issue. Here, and here, actually. I took in to a tranny shop to get it scanned. There were 3 trouble codes. According to Guzzle..

1)P0470- Exhaust backpressure sensor circuit failure.
2)P0603- Internal Control Module KAM Error
3)P1211- ICP Not Ctrllable - Pressure Above/Desired

The tech told me that my exhaust backpressure was 24 psi at idle. We didnt get to push WOT for too long, but the short burst pushed it up to 44 psi. My torque converter seems to be locking up fine, although I'm not convinced it isn't partially to blame. I do admit it should be minimal on long trips with it locked up. He told me I probably have a clogged cat. Only problem is, I dont have one. It was removed when I installed the turbo-back MBRP exhaust. The EBP sounds high, can my tuner cause these codes to be thrown in the first place? What should I do next? Tires are at 65/85, fresh oil, re-oiled air filter, Amsoil diesel additive, fuel filter has <6000 miles....And no its not my right foot! I can drive like a grandma, and there is no change in mileage.

Thanks,
Mike

I had gotten these codes just a couple of days ago. What happened to my truck is: I had let it warm up on Mon. morning. It was fine for about the 1st 5min. Then, it started running like it was out of fuel & died. It wouldn't start back up. I had to send it to Ford because I'm stuck on a business trip. They had called yesteray & said I have a bad IDM module. I'm not saying it's 100% a bad IDM, but it's definitely related to your fuel system. The 1st place(s) I checked were the IDM harness under both valve covers. Make sure that all the pins are making a good connection. I'm told that there's a clip that Ford now stocks that keeps the inner(under valve cover)side of the harness to stay in place. Check the outers too. Also, make sure all the injector/glow plug wires under the valve cover aren't being pinched. Scuffy, Dirk, & NCHornet were the ones that helped me out on this one. See if one of them respond to this thread.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Here I am!! I didn't go read your other threads but what milge problems are you having? The 0470 could cause bad milage if the valve was stuck closed. Pull the sensor and clean the base of it and the tube it sits on, it will have lots of carbon built up on it, brake cleaner and a ice pick will help. I cleaned my sensor three times before the thing went bad. A new one is $65 from International. Make sure you clear the codes after you clean the sensor, if it comes right back, you need a new sensor.
The 603 is your CPS, have you replaced the CPS in the past? This is a code from it, the codes stay in the PCM until power is disconnected or they are cleared with a scan tool.
The 1211 code comes from having a chip or programmer. It is nothing to worry about, it is simply the injectors calling for more oil pressure than the HPOP can provide, when this parameter is bove a certain point for more than 7 sec it will set this code. You may also want to look at my many responses to other mpg threads for info. If you live up North could be winter fuel. I have heard many are getting winter fuel already. Mine drops 2-3 mpg every year on winter blend!!

NCH
Old 09-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I read your other posts and 8-11 towing is perfectly normal depending on how you drive and what you are towing. I get 10-11 towing my 9500lb TT, of course it is as aerodynamic as a brick!! 14 around town is a bit low, what gearing in your diffs? My dually gets 15.5 around town, follow some of my advice in some of the other milage threads, there is a bunch o them!!

NCH
Old 09-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Here I am!! I didn't go read your other threads but what milge problems are you having? The 0470 could cause bad milage if the valve was stuck closed. Pull the sensor and clean the base of it and the tube it sits on, it will have lots of carbon built up on it, brake cleaner and a ice pick will help. I cleaned my sensor three times before the thing went bad. A new one is $65 from International. Make sure you clear the codes after you clean the sensor, if it comes right back, you need a new sensor.
The 603 is your CPS, have you replaced the CPS in the past? This is a code from it, the codes stay in the PCM until power is disconnected or they are cleared with a scan tool.
The 1211 code comes from having a chip or programmer. It is nothing to worry about, it is simply the injectors calling for more oil pressure than the HPOP can provide, when this parameter is bove a certain point for more than 7 sec it will set this code. You may also want to look at my many responses to other mpg threads for info. If you live up North could be winter fuel. I have heard many are getting winter fuel already. Mine drops 2-3 mpg every year on winter blend!!

NCH
Thanks for the responses! I am ok with 8-11 towing the loads, but the 5.5mpg is what I dont like! I have not replaced the CPS yet, should I? I will clean the exhaust sensor and report back..
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I don't remember reading a 5.5, when is this happening? A 7.3 should never get 5.5, mine will get better than that at a idle, lol!!! Don't change the CPS, unless it is cutting out on you and you are getting the 0603 code.

NCH
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
I don't remember reading a 5.5, when is this happening? A 7.3 should never get 5.5, mine will get better than that at a idle, lol!!! Don't change the CPS, unless it is cutting out on you and you are getting the 0603 code.

NCH
I got 5.5 on an entire tank towing in the rocky's. Thats kind of why I still think the TC could be partially to blame, excessive slipping before lockup. When Im loaded on a decent incline, starting from a dead stop is a big struggle. The motor revs, but the truck just doesnt go anywhere...

The only time the truck cut out was when the F5 chip was knocked loose on the highway....
Old 10-02-2008, 03:25 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

If it was slipping you would know it and the temps should be getting up there. I would say that the TC is probably your problem and it will only get worse. I would install the one from a 6.0, great triple disc and you only need to drill a couple holes. Contact JW for info.

NCH
Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
the 0603 is not the CPS Its a Keep Alive Memory error. Sometimes caused by changing tunes with a chip or programmer. 8-11 towing in the mountains with your trailer setup is respectable. I agree with Kevin either clean your EBPS tube or replace it. Also unplug your EBPV if you havent already
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 AM

I just cleaned my sensor a couple days ago. I followed guzzles instructions and it went fine. Pull the sensor, unhooked line down below from manifold and cleaned it. I didn't pull line off the truck. Just brake clean and air. And that will help mileage from what I can tell so far. My sensor was full and the line was 100% plugged. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.