2002 F-350 No Crank No Start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NoRalPh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to carnival owner mikey
2002 F-350 No Crank No Start.

O.K. so i haven't been very active on the org. in a few years but I know it used to get flooded with no starts when the weather turned. A lot of them got referred to the search bar and I tried searching but couldn't find what I need. Can anyone help me by linking a thread or giving some advice? Here is the deal.

2002 F-350 dually 4x4 ext cab lightly modded. It has the Napa6637 air filter mod, a 4" exhaust from turbo and international bellowed up pipes. Running a Superchips super tuner 1607 (I think thats what its called) on the tow safe tune constantly. The trans was rebuilt 2 years ago with all billet or HD parts and a transgo tugger kit. I basically told my local trans guy a BTS trans build and he already knew what i wanted.

Last winter it would get hard to start if it was really cold during the day or if i didn't plug it in then forget about it. chug chug chug typical &.3 that probably didn't have all or many glow plugs working. Towards the end of winter it sat at work outside one day when it was well below zero and that was the last straw for the starter. New starter (under warrantee) and an hour o
plugged in and all was good. In the spring it started running on 4 cylinders and I knew instantly it was probably the wiring in the valve cover gaskets but didn't have the time to fix it myself so off to the dealership. They confirmed the wiring problem and said the glow plug connections especially were burned bad. all was good and I did notice the truck started much easier this fall when the temp began to drop. But I was still running the old batteries(I didn't pull the date stickers off so iI don't even know when I bought em) which I had run down to co crank a few(lot of) times.
So, this winter all was fine it seemed to start better overall but at around 30 degrees I had to plug it in. Then about a week before it failed we had a really cold day -10 with windchill I think and sitting all day it didn't want to start. It was real close and I had to pick my kids up from school so I just kept trying. the voltage got so low it quit cranking but I kinda jiggled the key and got one more crank which was enough to get it to go.
A week later (truck got used almost everyday between) I go to start it and it cranks about twice real strong ,no chug not lugging and just quits cranking like it was shut off. Everything lights up fine but it just won't crank.cant hear the starter even trying to engage but I can hear the relays by the fusses clicking. Starter is under warrantee so I put a new one in, no change. I figure the batteries are old I know I've stressed them more than I should and new batteries in a 7.3 are usually not a bad idea. 2 new napa65 series and still no change.
My research brings up a neutral safety switch as a possible issue but if that was it wouldn't the relays be silent? Im at a loss and don't really want to pay a mechanic right now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you get no indication it's trying to crank on the starter (dimming lights etc.) then I DO think of the NSSW first.

Is there a lot of slop in the shifter linkage? (2 torx screws above the brake pedal might need tightening at the shift tube)

Try holding the shifter up past P or put it in N or even R/D to see it it will crank then (you could be on the "ragged edge" of the adjustment)

Next, on an '03. there's a crappy connection that supplies the whole fusebox from the battery (+) to the Fuseable Links. Look for a sm black "box" on top of the fenderwell next to the airbox, marked High Current or something. Take the top off and look inside for Green Crud to be in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRalPh For This Useful Post:
carnival owner mikey (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to carnival owner mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
If you get no indication it's trying to crank on the starter (dimming lights etc.) then I DO think of the NSSW first.

Is there a lot of slop in the shifter linkage? (2 torx screws above the brake pedal might need tightening at the shift tube)

Try holding the shifter up past P or put it in N or even R/D to see it it will crank then (you could be on the "ragged edge" of the adjustment)

Next, on an '03. there's a crappy connection that supplies the whole fusebox from the battery (+) to the Fuseable Links. Look for a sm black "box" on top of the fenderwell next to the airbox, marked High Current or something. Take the top off and look inside for Green Crud to be in there.
Yeah no indication. it doesn't feel like theres much slop but the indicator has always been off a little. i did try to move the shifter around to see if it would crank but it didn't. I checked the torx and i think its fine but I may have been looking at the wrong thing. Ill check the rest tomorrow and post what I find here.Its not life or death because i have the cash to have it fixed but Ive never had to put this truck in the shop because i couldn't figure it out and I don't want to start now. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.