Engine Knock - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Knock

01 7.3, cold air intake, ts 6 pos chip, 106k miles, posted here a few times but still havnt figured out my problem, im experiencing a knock around 1500-2000 rpm and only noticed it after I changed my oil last month, I put 15-40 in, im going to change oil again soon just to see if that's the problem probably put in 10-30 to see if anything changes, its been cold here lately..10 below, so far ive changed fuel filter, fuel pump, cps..unrelated, cleaned screens in fuel tank, cleaned ebps and tube. it seems as though its starving for fuel in that rpm range, slight fluctuation in idle rpm but barely noticable, and it seems worse the colder it gets, seems down on power and boost is lower, when I get on it its only at 15 max, put in bellowed up pipes due to a leak and that helped with the loss of power a bit but not completely. Im at my wits end with this problem, I sent it to a shop but they brushed it off as up pipes. any help would be greatly appreciated, im losing my mind with this truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RYanmas9
Have you tried a fuel additive that has anti gel properties?

Just throwing out something while I ponder on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by RYanmas9; 12-24-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, diesel kleen, white bottle and howes
Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The temp has been up and down, mostly down but some days in the 30s and it still does it
Old 12-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do a CCT and buzz test and see what you get. If you have or know someone with AutoEnginuity, or you can use TorquePro app and do some data logging. It could be fuel filter related, worn out hpop, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Premium Member

A knock at 1500 rpm that goes away after 2000 RPM is injector knock 99% of the time on the 7.3.

Try this, go up to highway speed where your torque convertor locks. Get to around 1700rpm or so, where you can hear the knock. Now let off and let the truck engine brake. If while engine breaking ( negative load on the engine) the knock goes away, it's injector knock and stop worrying about it.

Edit.... you've asked this before.... did you actually do what I said? I gave the same advice last time.

If your truck doesn't have an AE injector in #8 ( being an 01 it's a toss up), you are just experiencing injector knock like up 99-early 01 guys do. There's nothing worth doing about it. Mine knocks so loud when It's cold I can hear the knock from 50 meters away, has done it for as long as I've owned the truck. Your low boost is probably un related, sticking EBPV, or wastegate.

Last edited by schlutzer; 12-25-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, I did the test and it goes away when I engine brake. Ill get a video up today to show what im hearing, maybe im describing it wrong. it sounds like in the powerband its starving for fuel
Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Nope. It's injector knock. If it goes away when you engine brake. It's just injector knock. The only fix is to buy and FRX from riffraff and an AE injector from Ford. And do the hutch mod.

Do you really want to spend 400$ to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed? All of us with trucks 99-early 01 do it to some degree. All it means is the injectors aren't brand new anymore, NOT that anything is worn out needing replacing.

Look else ware for your boost problem, sticky EBPV or weakwastegate like I said, or just simply a boost leak.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Schlutzer, im not trying to doubt you but it didn't do this 2 months ago, is that something that would just show up since winter hit

Last edited by dodgevillediesel; 12-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

permissions are set so we can't see that video. At least i can't.

And yes, my truck is very minimal all summer but knocks like hell all winter, most 99-01 7.3's do to some degree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.