Fuel Leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Leaking

Hey guys, I parked my truck a few days ago in my driveway (up hill), and notice a leak from the torque converter cover, so I checked it and it was diesel. There was no diesel coming out of the fuel bowl drain tube at all and the axle was dry, only wet at the back of the engine.

So I did some research and found that the drain valve orings are a common issues and sometimes the fuel line on the passenger side.

So I got under the hood and the fuel bowl and filter as well as the surrounding area (fuel lines and valley). So I tried it all out with rags then paper towels until it was spotless and I got under the turbo and wiped the passenger fuel line, then I started the truck and was looking for leaks, couldn't see any leaks at all from anything, none of the fuel bowl connections, fuel lines anywhere, so I put a paper towel in the valley to see if it would catch any fuel falling no fuel so I look under the truck and there is a small area of fuel leaking so I let it sit it stopped, then I checked under the hood again, and nothing. so I move the truck to a different part of the driveway let it sit and there was some diesel on the truck again.

I don't know where else to look, it's my only vehicle and I can't drove it around with a fuel leak.

any help would be greatly appreciated thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you verified its not leaking where the passenger side fuel line goes into the head?

also by some random chance, is it leaking from the fuel test port located on the back of the driver side head.

i dont have a pic of the fuel test port, but its the fitting you remove when you install a Frx from riffraff.

you can check their install sheet for its location and see if its leaking from there.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It could be the banjo bolt(s) on the back side of the heads. But since you said its coming from the TC area, Its prolly the vibralock rubber oring inside the passenger side fitting at the back of the head. Its 1/4". If your interested I make a SS fuel line kit that eliminates these PITA vibralock fittings.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the replies,

I was out until about 12 last night and I found the leak, it's the, wait for it.. the drain valve, as my luck would have it I was parked in a way the the fuel ran along side of the head and was gathering up in the rear "pocket" (there are 3 that I can see" of the valley under the turbo.

hoping it was just orings I bought a set of 202 orings, I replaced them. Once I installed them I tightened up the bolt and it still leaks. Now that I have the old orings out I measured them and they are thicker than 1/8" so I think they may be metric orings. I will keep posted.

I appreciate any other information you guys provide thank you.

Last edited by KnockingDiesel; 12-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go here for all your oring kits for your truck. Many of our O-rings do not match up with standard industrial O-rings.

www.dieselorings.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I had a friend of mine make me some thick gasket, 13mm o.d. 5mm I.d. and about 4mm thick.

It slowed the leak, but I can still see it dripping on to the hpop I'm gonna mess with it some more, how tight should the bolts be I am using a "L" t20 torx wrench.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Just order the military spec ones from diesel orings and stop messing with it. Lol
Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

okay guys updated with tighten the bolts again checked everything stuck a mirror behind it, and the fuel drain is no longer leaking. but theres still a leak as soon as my wife turned the switch there was bubbling around the the fuel filter cap, so I've got a mess with that and that should be good to go thanks for all your replies
Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, it's got a new filter, cap and gasket along with my new flat metric orings. THERE IS A STEEL BRAIDED LINE THAT CONNECTS THE HPOP TO THE PASSENGER CYLINDER HEAD, IF THE PLASTIC THAT COVERS IT IS GONE, ITS EXPOSED AND IS THE EQUIVALENT OF A CHEES GRATER AGAINST THE KNUCKLES

After all this I have decided to sell the truck............

Not really I fixed it, it's as dry as the New Mexico desert.

Thanks again guys
Old 12-18-2013, 02:07 PM

It seems that a lot of times the aftermarket caps for the filter always leak. Oem seems to be the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.