Ball joint ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ball joint ?

I have a 2000 F250 7.3l 4wd automatic. I just replaced the tires with the same size that were on there. When I turn the wheel all the way I hear a noise. I would not describe it as a rubbing or grinding but something doesn't sound right. It sounds like something is worn out or loose. I got under the truck and didn't see anything obvious. I jacked up each front tire and gave them a good pull. The right front tire had some play in it top and bottom. The driver's side was good. I figure the truck could probably use new ball joints. The truck is not wandering on the road. Could these joints be the source of the noise? I do not know what else to check or how to inspect anything else. I think I will do the ball joints myself eventually. Any idea how long it will take with the right tools? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Best way to check ball joints is to jack up the one side, get the tire off the ground. Then get a helper to put a 2x4 or whatever under the tire to pry and lift up and down while you watch the ball joints. It was painfully obvious that I needed them when I did this test. I paid a ford tech that does side work 200 bucks to do mine but I know they can easily be done in a weekend day and you can make any special tools you may need to press in the seal pretty easily. Could be a bearing if you said you had play in the tire? They are a cartridge and again pretty easy to replace. I had to pay my dealer to do it because my family was flying in from NY the same day for me to begin my vacation. I didn't want any funny business, so I paid them. Part was the expensive part in that case.
Good luck - welcome to the org!
Scott
Old 11-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't have a helper but I kind of bear hugged the tire and placed one hand on the ball joint. While moving the tire I could feel play. I know one side is bad I just hope this is the cause of my popping sound. Did you have any noise?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Yes I had a noise and a noticeable pop in the floorboard before I fixed it. It is a super common problem with these trucks.
Scott
Old 11-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks. I will go ahead and order parts and get it done. Appreciate the quick response.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like ball joints to me...lots of good videos on YouTube for guidance...that's what I did
Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I changed the first ball joint myself and paid to have the second one done. Fighting that ball joint press was a bear. Turns out it was a hub bearing making the noise. So I got a new bearing, ball joints and the truck is getting aligned tomorrow. Just wanted to follow up.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 AM

Good to hear that you're getting it handled, thanks for the follow up!
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.