2003 7.3 SES on start then lopes after - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 7.3 SES on start then lopes after

Hi guys,

I just picked up a 2003 7.3 6 speed 170K. I bought the truck under the assumption that the turbo was blown based on the dealers assessment. The good news is that it was wrong and the turbo appears to be in great shape. No play and spins nice.

When started cold the SES light comes on at start up and stays on until the truck is warmed up a bit. During this time, the engine idles smooth but is very sluggish to rev and stumbles at 2k rpm and if pushed beyond that just blows white smoke really heavy. After a while the light goes out and the truck does a few bad bucks and sort of smooths out but still has a lope especially when letting off of the pedal. it drives ok but has some hesitation.

After it is warm if I shut it down and restart it, the SES light comes on initially with all the same symptoms as well as not wanting to build any boost. after 30 seconds or a minute the light will go out it will lope real bad then mostly calm down.

I have recently been using the torque app. At idle the HPOP is right at 500 psi maybe a little shy. The IPR duty is around 15% when pushed hard, the HPOP gets up to about 2600.

I have tried checking for codes with torque and it turns up nothing.

My thought is that for some reason at start up its in some sort of limp mode then kicks out of it but actually runs worse. What would be changing or what would the computer be monitoring that would result in those symptoms after it comes out of limp mode?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I just changed the oil because it looked a little dirty. Also changed the coolant. It looks as though it may have previously had oil in the degas bottle at some point.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Did you check/change the fuel filter?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM

The fuel filter looks to be pretty new.
I thought about the fuel thing but I couldn't make sense of why suddenly the computer would kick out of it and allow it to fuel and build boost
Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 AM

Any other ideas floating around out there?
Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well im gonna say your ICP or something on the oil side is bad, go out and unplug the ICP and look at the plug to see if theres oil(indicates its going bad not necessarily bad yet) and then try starting it unplugged and see if it runs better if it does the sensor or pigtail is bad. The 7.3 needs a MINIMUM of 500 psi to run, so if what your saying that its dipping below 500 its probably pissing the PCM off and its letting you know.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:06 AM

X2 on the icp.

oil isnt low is it?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why Guess though.....?

Get the engine on a proper diagnostic machine, pull the code that's setting the light, and monitor what's going on while this is happening. The cost for the scan might save you Lots of money over buying expensive sensors you don't need

OR, if you intend to keep the truck for a while and do the work on it yourself, invest in the right scanner (most here use the AutoEnginuity, @ $350 w/Ford Enhanced pkg)
Old 11-28-2013, 05:06 AM

The ICP appears to be dry and when I look at it with tourqe it is reading. It makes no difference to run it with the sensor unplugged. The oil level is not low.
I am working at getting a scanner on it, I'm not sure about you, but $350 is still a lot of money for me.

Anyone with auto enginuity in the Cincinnati Ohio area that's will to hook up to this truck and tell me what it says?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:30 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes, of course it's not cheap...

But, and why I asked, if you plan to keep your truck and maintain it yourself, it could actually save you money You're using the TorqApp? You can't get any cheaper than that and still get a lot of useful information (Much better than a generic OBD-II).

What are your ICP pressures? Did you say it's No Different plugged/unplugged? Like 2300? That's not right!

This is what you should be able to see from the sensors (from the AE Forum)

Set up AE to monitor ICP and IPR duty cycle and crank it over. When you first turn the key on, you should get 14% IPR, and when you crank it, ICP should come up to 500 psi plus and IPR should be probably no higher than 25% or so. If IPR goes above 35% then you may have Injector o-ring leakage. That would explain the long crank times. You may also want to check cranking RPM, which should be a minimum of 100.

More good ICP info here-> 7.3 icp and duty cycle Page1 - Diesel Power Forums at Diesel Power Magazine

Last edited by NoRalPh; 11-28-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.